It is currently 03 May 2024, 16:17

Omega Movement availabitity?

• Author

morelite

Techie

Techie

Omega Movement availabitity?

Post20 Mar 2010, 16:22

Sorry for the newbie question but can someone tell me if a module is really easy to find for this model before I start bidding on it. I really like the shape of it.
Ebay link to it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/VERY-RARE-OMEGA-L-E ... 20b00236c3

morelite

Techie

Techie

: Omega Movement availabitity?

Post22 Mar 2010, 00:32

The module is a SASM-50 if that helps and I've also read that a 1603 was used.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Re: : Omega Movement availabitity?

Post22 Mar 2010, 02:46

morelite wrote:The module is a SASM-50 if that helps and I've also read that a 1603 was used.

That is slightly wrong - the 1603 module was made by Frontier Corp. The module is not an SASM-50 - that is a designation as gentleman in German proposed to give to a modern rebuild of that movement, that he was hoping to make on a piece-meal basis. To my understanding, no replacements for that movement have actually been been made or sold by him. His version of the earlier, magnet set Pulsar/Hamilton/Omega modules were bought by a few people - now he seems to have dropped out of the picture(the market for the rebuilt modules may not have been nearly what he anticipated.)

The movement for the Omega can be rebuilt with the circuit board from another Frontier module, but you do need the original module for the contacts and such, to have proper case/button/movement interaction.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

morelite

Techie

Techie

Post22 Mar 2010, 03:00

Thanks for the info Ed, The original movement does come with the watch but I don't know what will be useable, it has battery leak/ corrosion damage.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post22 Mar 2010, 04:53

And understand that watch will seriously run 3-4 times the current price by auction end.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

Led-Time

Guru

Guru

Post22 Mar 2010, 20:26

retroleds wrote:now he seems to have dropped out of the picture

He better not have as he's got three of my watches... ~:(

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

Post23 Mar 2010, 00:36

He better not have as he's got three of my watches...

Please keep us posted Klippie. There are others (myself inlculded) that will most likely need his services again in the near future.

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post27 Jul 2010, 10:48

just found this old thread and a word of comment.
Hanno is an honest guy so no worries in this field but he is a busy man with main focus on pinball machines. LED watches are just a hobby and with some know-how he invented the swapper module SASM which I find very reliable. I've sold some 20 of these worldwide and not a word of complaint.
the other replacement modules are still in development or stabilization stage that require modifications.
unfortunately that requires time which is spent on the main field of business.
"The first and still only LED watch maniac in the East Block" - www.crazywatches.pl

pigeon2

Post27 Jul 2010, 15:55

DONT BUY A NONE WORKING OMEGA YOU WONT GET A MODULE BETTER TO BUY WORKING WATCH YOU WILL ONLY BE LEFT WITH CASE AND YOU WILL HAVE TO BUY ANOTHER ONE TO GET MODULE OUT OF IT IF YOU WANT TO KEAP ORIGINAL PARTS :-D

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post27 Jul 2010, 16:58

pigeon2 wrote:DONT BUY A NONE WORKING OMEGA YOU WONT GET A MODULE BETTER TO BUY WORKING WATCH YOU WILL ONLY BE LEFT WITH CASE AND YOU WILL HAVE TO BUY ANOTHER ONE TO GET MODULE OUT OF IT IF YOU WANT TO KEAP ORIGINAL PARTS :-D

read this thread again as you're totally wrong in your assumption.
1600/1601 modules can be robbed from Pulsars and Hamiltons.
1602/1603 modules can be robbed from Frontiers, no-names, Hamiltons.
and then you have the SASM replacements.
"The first and still only LED watch maniac in the East Block" - www.crazywatches.pl

pigeon2

Post27 Jul 2010, 19:12

azimuth_pl wrote:
pigeon2 wrote:DONT BUY A NONE WORKING OMEGA YOU WONT GET A MODULE BETTER TO BUY WORKING WATCH YOU WILL ONLY BE LEFT WITH CASE AND YOU WILL HAVE TO BUY ANOTHER ONE TO GET MODULE OUT OF IT IF YOU WANT TO KEAP ORIGINAL PARTS :-D

read this thread again as you're totally wrong in your assumption.
1600/1601 modules can be robbed from Pulsars and Hamiltons.
1602/1603 modules can be robbed from Frontiers, no-names, Hamiltons.
AM NOT SAYING YOU CANT PUT OTHER MODULES IN THE WATCHES LOOK AGAIN BUT THE MODULES WONT BE ORIGINAL OMEGAS NOT THE SAME IF YOU WANT EVERYTHING TO BE ORIGINAL NOW IS IT SIR !@@!

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post27 Jul 2010, 21:44

Omega never made any LED modules so define the word Original after 40 years of handling a LED watch by all sorts of people. that would very likely only apply to NOS boxed pieces from the very first owners untouched from the day of purchase.

robbing a 1600-1603 module from another non-Omega watch will keep an Omega within your quote "TO KEAP ORIGINAL PARTS" and usually for a fraction of the price.

pigeon2

Post27 Jul 2010, 21:58

yes keap it all original if one can you cant get better than original parts diverant strokes for diverant folks :-D

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post27 Jul 2010, 22:00

azimuth_pl wrote:1602/1603 modules can be robbed from Frontiers, no-names, Hamiltons.
You can swap a Hamilton to an Omega, yes, but any other Frontier module will have to have it's circuit board placed into the Omega(or Hamilton if fixing a Hamilton) battery holder/chassis, to accommodate the very shallow contacts,slightly larger case bore and the very necessary locating notch, of the Omega and Hamilton watches. And many generic Frontier modules are too deep for the Omega and Hamilton cases.

I'd have to agree with pigeon on the originality issue - there are thousands of all original equipment Omegas and Hamiltons out there, and certainly many will still be running 10,20, maybe even 40 years from now. People are always intrigued by "all original", over updated. And some electronics purists like the idea of the dedicated clock chip, over the software-based clock that is being ran on the generic programmable chip that the SASM movements are using. And old dedicated chip has a proven track record...code can have hidden flaws in logic that only time(pun intended) will reveal.

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post27 Jul 2010, 22:09

1602/1603 generic Frontier swapping applies to the circuit board only... of course... as you already have the rest from the dead module.
and it will still be Original no matter the definition.

Return to Omega and GP