Omega 1602 Constellation

• Author

abem

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Omega 1602 Constellation

Post02 Oct 2011, 08:01

Greetings,

I thought I might post a snapshot of an Omega 1602 Constellation that just came my way ($112, usual source). The case and bracelet are new old stock - the case back even has the original purple protective coating!

I always thought that Omega digitals were overrated and overpriced (though not their other 70s models including tuning fork and megaquartz models which are awesome). I have an Omega 1603 Connie that doesn't have nearly the heft and solid feeling that the 1602 has. The 1603 has a nice shape but somehow feels a bit chintzy for an Omega. I was a bit surprised by the 1602 - it seems to be almost the size and weight of a Hamilton QED. I haven't ever held a TC-1 or TC-2, so I can't compare it directly, but judging by the 1602, I would guess that they are pretty substantial.

My previous feelings towards Omegas may be a-changin'.

-abe.

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Re: Omega 1602 Constellation

Post02 Oct 2011, 10:03

Nice catch Abe 8-)

I have the Steel version and recently had the opportunity to compare it to the gold filled version I was really surprised how much heavier the GF is compared to the SS.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post02 Oct 2011, 16:20

bucko170 wrote:Nice catch Abe 8-)

I have the Steel version and recently had the opportunity to compare it to the gold filled version I was really surprised how much heavier the GF is compared to the SS.
A gold-filled over brass(base metal) case will weigh between 10-15% more than solid stainless, depending on grade of metals being compared. The added weight of the g/f layer doesn't add up to much, as the external dimensions are the same in either metal. So, for that part of the equation you are only comparing the difference in weight between 80 micron of 14k, nand 80 microns of stainless. A gram or two, max. :mrgreen:
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

: Omega 1602 Constellation

Post03 Oct 2011, 18:58

Nice catch Abe - she's a beauty.
(She's a beauty... one in a million watch - why would I lie.. ?!)
Seriously - you got it for $112 ?! I don't know who your source is - but it's a winner. 8-)

abem

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post05 Oct 2011, 03:24

Hey,

I know that some of you horological pervs like to leer at photos of pretty watches on the intertubes. It's shocking and shameful, I know, to look at such things while there is so much suffering in the world. While I can't condone such activity, I thought at least I could supply some relatively tasteful material to help you junkies get a fix in between slumming on eBay. I just put up a little gallery of photos of my shiny new 1602 Constellation:
http://www.timetrafficker.com/watches/l ... index.html

Enjoy.

-abe.

Ade51

Wizard

Wizard

Post05 Oct 2011, 19:57

I have the same watch and really love it. Not quite in the same condition as yours but still really nice.

I would love to purchase a 1603 but I have not seen any for sale. Were there a lot less of the 1603 made compared to the 1602?

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post05 Oct 2011, 20:05

Last edited by bucko170 on 05 Oct 2011, 20:05, edited 1 time in total.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Re: : Omega 1602 Constellation

Post05 Oct 2011, 20:05

Ade51 wrote: Were there a lot less of the 1603 made compared to the 1602?
Substantially it seems....maybe 10:1? 1602 vs.1603
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

Post05 Oct 2011, 22:51

What can I say Abe? I'm :mrgreen: with envy. ;-)

abem

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post05 Oct 2011, 23:40

Wow - I had no idea that the 1603 was that rare. I read somewhere (and now I can't seem to be able to locate the source) that the total number of 1602 and 1603 models made came to 28,000. If Ed is correct that the ratio is about 10:1, then there would indicate that there are no more than about 2800 1602's floating around and probably much fewer today - perhaps just a few hundred. That's getting pretty rarified.

This is a nice looking matching set of Omegas (don't know who they belong to - not me):

-abe.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post06 Oct 2011, 02:01

abem wrote:This is a nice looking matching set of Omegas (don't know who they belong to - not me)-abe.
Possibly those are John Deeney's (UK), he bought a pair of those off me (not at same time,duh!) They are super rare....it seems that 5-6 years ago people on here thought those weren't even real Omega's. Much sleeker than a Constellation.

charger105

Guru

Guru

Post06 Oct 2011, 06:44

I picked up a NOS SS 1603 a while ago, with a BIN for $250. I thought that was a sweet score ! Your 1602 for $112 makes my purchase look expensive !

I really like that 1602 you've got Abe. Was it a US only auction ? You guys in the US are lucky. There seems to be a lot of bargains to be had with sellers who won't ship out of the US.
Even if you have a kind friend in the US who'd be willing to re-direct a package for you, Ebay seems to have got smarter, and won't let someone registered elsewhere even lodge a bid.

I was thinking Ed, a possible new section in the forum could be 'Recent Purchases' or similar. The PCS forum has a 'Brags' section, which is popular.
Rgds.'

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post06 Oct 2011, 17:11

Brag pieces are funny, IMO: they lower the bar, price wise, in most people's heads :-? ......you get a skewed picture of reality, when viewed through a small hole. Everyone will have some fantastic finds, depending on how far, wide and frequently they go looking. I obviously cannot participate - it would be in incredibly poor taste to say the least. :mrgreen:

Here, I renamed the "Gallery" of recent puchase to "Brag Gallery" - top of the "General Section. http://www.dwf.nu/viewforum.php?f=6
Last edited by retroleds on 07 Oct 2011, 17:32, edited 1 time in total.

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post07 Oct 2011, 16:33

i wished that Abe stops bringing up those incredible sleek pictures :-D , every watch i purchase looks like it's coming from a dump somewhere in relation with his purchases :O`~

abem

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post07 Oct 2011, 20:22

Ed's right - just showing the good ones does give a skewed perspective.

Kasper - If it makes you feel better, I've had my share of lemons. Last month, I had a losing streak where three watches in a row advertised as working perfectly on eBay arrived DOA. My rule of thumb is to only bid on watches that have either a nice case and bracelet or a working module because otherwise you'll likely end up with nothing. Even so, at least one out of three is a disappointment in some way.

Here's a real stinker. This thing was advertised as having "untested" with "light handling nicks and scratches" and the original price tag - watchmakers old stock etc. I foolishly bought it for $50 thinking that if it didn't work at least I'd have a nice unused case that could be refinished (solid stainless). It arrived as shown below - corroded and dissolving from the inside out from battery acid. Nice. No need to "test" it, the thing is a lump of corrosion with a disintegrated display. Can't even use the case since the face is so heavily damaged.

The seller (carsale3) agreed to refund my money due to the faulty description and misleading photos and then I got an email the other day from eBay saying "Refund failed. The refund did not clear the seller's bank. Please contact the seller for refund." Great. Thanks eBay "protection".

To top it off, the seller received the item returned from me and reslisted it on eBay for some other sucker! It's there now. So, he gets to sell it multiple times. A real scam artist.

So, no, I most certainly don't always have good luck.

-abe.

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post07 Oct 2011, 21:31

abem wrote:The seller (carsale3) agreed to refund my money due to the faulty description and misleading photos and then I got an email the other day from eBay saying "Refund failed. The refund did not clear the seller's bank. Please contact the seller for refund." Great. Thanks eBay "protection".
To top it off, the seller received the item returned from me and reslisted it on eBay for some other sucker! It's there now. So, he gets to sell it multiple times. A real scam artist.
-abe.

And eBay allow him to continue trading? :eek: at that have eBay now washed their hands of it completely?

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post12 Oct 2011, 21:10

bucko170 wrote:Nice catch Abe 8-)

Just wondered how do these stack up against the original TC1/2 :?:

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post12 Oct 2011, 21:54

holly35 wrote:Just wondered how do these stack up against the original TC1/2 :?:

They have a totally different look and feel IMO, the TC feels bulkier the Constellation more heavier and compact for it's size, as far as preference is concerned the Constellation just shades it for me.

abem

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post12 Oct 2011, 22:45

Yes, I'd have to concur that the 1602 feels like the densest LED watch that I've handled. Perhaps it's an artifact of the case construction (osmium? JK), but it may also be a subjective artifact of the fact that the bracelet is almost as thick as the case.

The bracelet is almost ridiculously massive for the size of the watch, but it works. It makes the bracelet sort of flow seamlessly into the case. If you compare the 1602 and 1603 below, you'll see that the 1602 bracelet is almost twice as thick as the bracelet on the 1603.

A few other LED watches feel subjectively more dense because of the weight of the bracelet. The solid link stainless P4 comes to mind.

-abe.

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post13 Oct 2011, 13:00

The TC 1 is about 3mm wider (41mm v 38mm) and 2mm deeper (12mm v 14mm total depth) than the Constellation (loosely measured with a ruler) and it does look and feel so much bigger. A side to side photo does not reflect the difference so obviously.

A quick weigh in including batteries TC = 122g, Constellation = 111g.

What's the weight of a GF Constellation? I know Ed said there should only be a couple of grams difference SS v GF but it was a very noticeable difference to me, maybe I have weight sensitive hands ;-)
My SS has 16 links.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post13 Oct 2011, 13:47

I just weighed a SS and G/F Constellation, both with 15 links.
GF 128 g. no batteries
SS 111 g. "

You can easily feel 1/2 ounce difference, in something that light. 8-)

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post13 Oct 2011, 13:54

Cheers Ed :-D
Next

Return to Omega and GP