It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 14:27

Hamilton Armstrong? New find

• Author

Phasar66

Wizard

Wizard

Hamilton Armstrong? New find

Post19 May 2012, 03:46

Just got this on the mail. Mid size watch huge bracelet. I'm starting to like this Hamiltons.
It has Six functions and bright segment display. came with box manual tags and 2 links. life is good!!!!
:-D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Re: Hamilton Armstrong? New find

Post19 May 2012, 07:26

I think it likely that the watch was produced for a company who had their name added to the crystal by request, maybe as an employee or corporate gift, I 'googled' Armstrong and it came up with a flooring, cabinet and ceiling manufacturer ( http://www.armstrong.com/ ) which has the same logo/name as that that is printed on the crystal.

The watch itself is a Hamilton QED II, Abe & Piotr have information on this watch on their sites at http://www.timetrafficker.com/watches/l ... index.html and http://www.crazywatches.pl/hamilton-qed ... 2-led-1975 respectively.

Very nice watch and great photo's, is the watch by any chance engraved on the back, 25 years service or the like?

Phasar66

Wizard

Wizard

Post19 May 2012, 08:34

Actually it does, but a Cork company? take a look. The watch wasn't used much and is in excellent shape
I really like the bracelet. I really don't mind that is engraved, I like the fact that it is. Does it lower the value?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ade51

Wizard

Wizard

Post19 May 2012, 09:22

A great find as you do not see too many with this bracelet shape. I have the gold and SS versions and they one of my favourite LEDs. Fantastic condition as well. I wouldn't worry about the engraving - I don't think it will detract from its value. Ed has a mint and boxed one for sale at $550 on his site to give an idea of its value.

Phasar66

Wizard

Wizard

Post19 May 2012, 09:35

Now a have to find a SS one. I like this watch so much it's been on my wrist all day.
There are many great watches out there besides PULSAR

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post19 May 2012, 13:21

Phasar66 wrote:[color=#004000]Actually it does, but a Cork company?

It is all part of the history of the same company 'Armstrong World Industries', which according to their corporate information on the web

"it all began in a tiny two-man cork-cutting shop in 1860 in Pittsburgh......Today, five generations later, Armstrong is a worldwide family of thousands of employees who manufacture and market a vast portfolio of branded products and services. Armstrong products include commercial and residential floor coverings and acoustical ceilings and grid systems and wood cabinets. Through its subsidiaries, Armstrong Wood Products, the world's largest manufacturer of hardwood flooring and a major producer of hardwood cabinets; and DLW, the leading flooring manufacturer in Germany, Armstrong now produces high-quality wood flooring and wooden kitchen and bath cabinets, commercial carpet, and linoleum."

Phasar66 wrote:I really don't mind that is engraved, I like the fact that it is. Does it lower the value?

I also quite like the fact that it is engraved, it just adds a little bit of extra history to the watch and I would also agree with Ade that it shouldn't negatively affect the value.

Where did you come across the watch?

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post19 May 2012, 18:58

I'd agree that it is an employee appreciation watch for Armstrong Company, which has/had nothing to do with Hamilton. I'm surprised you live in the States and didn't recognize their logo style name :-P ...Tv commercials, magazine ads...they are huge. Very nice Hamilton, has a clasp that is 2 mm wider than any other Hamilton LED model.,excellent quality band. :-D

[EDIT]Phaser - if the back bothers you, I have plenty of spare Hamilton back. Email(not PM) me.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

Phasar66

Wizard

Wizard

Post20 May 2012, 03:32

What threw me off first was Cork Company, Now all makes sense. I guess they made sure they
had a special watch for a loyal Employee. What better way to show appreciation in 1978 than
with a state of the art watch. I'll be all the way to Pluto in excitement.
State sale find for $150.00 working.
Well I have a nice watch and also a trophy. I will leave like that, Thanks Ed.

Return to Omega and GP