It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 21:48

BEST/SAFEST BATTERY FOR LED WATCHES.

• Author

KARNAK

Techie

Techie

BEST/SAFEST BATTERY FOR LED WATCHES.

Post26 Jun 2012, 09:05

Morning evryone, I have a question that is nagging at me, I only use RENATA batteries in my watches, I find them to be long lasting and totally dependable. I have read views by respected experts and they all voted for RENATA.

I was always under the impression that ALKALINE batteries leaked and could ruin a watch, however yesterday I went to my friendly jeweller for a battery change, as usual I brought my own RENATA with me which I purchase from THE SMALL BATTERY COMPANY in London which stock every type/make of battery. The jeweller said why don't you use SONY, I told him the reasons he had no problem with that. I then asked him about ALKALINE batthow notorious they were for leakage. Much to my surprise he said that problem had been fixed and they do not leak anymore.

I am not about to change, RENATA SILVER OXIDE batteries are the ones for me, can fellow collectors give your views, it would be appreciated.

Many thanks,
Regards,
KARNAK.

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Re: BEST/SAFEST BATTERY FOR LED WATCHES.

Post26 Jun 2012, 13:52

From what I understand the modern alkaline batteries are pretty much free from the danger of leaking, that is apart from the cheap rubbish that comes out of China.
The difference is in the voltage, the silver oxides retain a constant voltage throughout their life whereas the voltage of the alkaline batteries slowly drops off until it is unable to supply adequate power to light the display.
The general consensus of opinion is that the silver oxide is better suited to the LED watch.

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post26 Jun 2012, 15:13

i have no idea, normally i change the batt when they are off...and i leave the batt out if i want to store a watch.
And i don't care cause most batt are off after 5 years..so it will never be my problem :-D
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

KARNAK

Techie

Techie

Post26 Jun 2012, 17:43

Hi guys.
Thank you for your replies, BUCKO 170, I agree the batteries made in China are total rubbish and should never be used, I was not aware that the Alkaline batteries are not leaking not that I am ging to chance it. Me I will stick with my trusty RENATA silver oxide, in my estimation a fantastic battery.

Regards,

KARNAK

LED

Geek

Geek

Post27 Jun 2012, 02:38

From my experience its also an important factor how old the cells are. Even good brands like Renata loose significant charge when they have been sitting on the dealers shelf for years, recently I got some which were almost empty.
Besides that I would also beware of cheap no name alkaline cells, for example a set of new ones with good charge ruined a nice Pulsar unrepairably by leaking within a few weeks just at idle :cry:
Personally I prefer rechargeable NiMh cells, besides costs saving they rarely seem to be leaking.
Best strategy is definetively to leave batteries out of watches not in use.

KARNAK

Techie

Techie

Post06 Jul 2012, 12:50

Morning Guys,

I normally only use RENATA batteries, The guy I buy my batteries from tells me that RENATA make the watch batteries for RAYOVAC, he advised me that they are made to the same standard as RENATA batteries in fact he says they are identical batteries. As he was out of RENATA batteries he sent me RAYOVAC batteries with the above explanation.

As I am not familiar with RAYOVAC or how they perform, my question is has anyone had any experience with using RAYOVAC SILVER OXIDE batteries made by RAYOVAC and are they really as good as the real RENATA brand. They are both made in Switzerland.

Many thanks,

Karnak

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post06 Jul 2012, 21:55

As for Silver Oxide (not Alkaline) you can use any major brand. Varta (my faourite), Renata, Sony, etc. Never seen a leaked Varta yet.

KARNAK

Techie

Techie

Post07 Jul 2012, 07:52

HI Rewolf,

Thank you, that is good enough for me, I am going to try VARTA next.

Regards,

KARNAK

Return to Omega and GP