It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:48

How to identify Solid Gold Time Computer

• Author

Caruso

Wizard

Wizard

How to identify Solid Gold Time Computer

Post29 Sep 2014, 22:24

Hi, does anyone know how to identify a solid gold Omega TC1 compared to the gold filled version?

My gold filled TC2 has *L80Ω stamped on the lug. Does anyone know what's on the Solid gold version?
Check out my vintage digital channel on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/danhay1137

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Re: How to identify Solid Gold Time Computer

Post29 Sep 2014, 23:18

The lug is stamped either ".750" or "18K". The links are thinner, one-piece construction, and have a different cross-section than the goldfilled ones. The expansion (removable) links are held in place by screws, not springpins, and the bracelet is attached to the case with screws, also. There are differences in the clasp, too, the most noticeable ones being that it is shorter, and the Omega symbol is a raised, added piece of gold, rather than being embossed on the surface. Finally, there is -something- about the look of 18K gold...
Addendum...notice that the screws attaching the bracelet to the case are stainless steel (presumably for strength), and not gold. I replaced the ones on mine with custom, home-made 18K screws, just for the sake of appearance (the watch will never be worn again, so the stronger stainless screws are not really needed any more...it looks really nice, too).
Last edited by bruce wegmann on 16 Jun 2015, 03:29, edited 3 times in total.

SASM

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post29 Sep 2014, 23:25

There´s no direct marking on the solid gold version except for the inner case back (see pictures). The case looks more like the rare one used for the leather straps as it has just one "fake link" instead of two on each side of the bracelet support. The bracelet has a very rough vertical brushing and comes with a beautiful Omega clasp. Look at the brushing of the clasp itself! The bracelet links are very different from the gold filled version Omegas. The case was brushed in horizontal direction which looks a bit strange as it does not really fit the brushing of the bracelet. The case back ring is golden. Another strange thing is that the tiny cover for the magnet is plain stainless steel instead of a gold filled one you can find in many gf Pulsars.

gjlelec

Wizard

Wizard

Post30 Sep 2014, 12:09

Hanno, if you don't mind me asking, is this your watch ? If so, have fitted the crystal/ module ?
Sasm said "There´s no direct marking on the solid gold version except for the inner case back"- i seem to remember my case being stamped "18K" where the bracelet meets the case- a la Rolex serial numbers, you would need to remove the bracelet to see it
Here's how they compare side on -chalk and cheese really

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post30 Sep 2014, 13:44

I believe my description captured the essential details, but there's nothing like a picture to make everything crystal-clear. Outstanding...

gjlelec

Wizard

Wizard

Post30 Sep 2014, 14:13

It was generally assumed that Star Watch Case Co would have made these 18ct cases but Omega also sourced them from Fontana Lascor in Italy, whom Omega had acquired in 1974 .They were also still available way after TC1 models were superceded
That then got me wondering if fontana would have stamped the case 750 or 18ct and not 18 "K". :scratch:

[url=http://s98.photobucket.com/user/gjlelec/media/scan0032_zps935e1551.jpg.html]Image[/

SASM

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post30 Sep 2014, 17:52

@ gjlelec:

I disassembled it for a restauration which I haven´t started yet and bought it a while back. Won´t do much as I like a bit of patina. The 1600 module is working and I will apply a new glass. I would guess that Fontana made the cases but not the backs as these could be produced with the same tool as all Omega, Hamiltons or Pulsars backs. Does the tiny star on the back mean it was produced by Star Case? Not sure about it, maybe Bruce knows it. That would explain why it says 18K instead of 18ct or 0.750 instead of 0,750. Moreover the "1" looks so non-european plus the lettering itself.

gjlelec

Wizard

Wizard

Post30 Sep 2014, 19:35

Yes, the star denotes Star Watch Case Co. Its highly probable they did the majority, certainly the earlier cases

Caruso

Wizard

Wizard

Post30 Sep 2014, 21:21

Thanks for the fantastic responses.
Check out my vintage digital channel on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/danhay1137

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post16 Jun 2015, 03:39

The entire case could have been made by Star, but, I doubt it, as they already had their hands full trying to keep up with demand for Time Computer watches. However, the case back was certainly done by Star (the five-pointed star directly above the battery connector is their manufacturer's logo). It's interesting that all markings were kept on the INSIDE surface; it may have been done for aesthetic reasons, but, that's just a guess. The lack of any serial numbering system for the cases is less easy to understand.

Return to Omega and GP