It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:10

Got a problem here.

• Author

world-is-yours

Got a problem here.

Post06 Feb 2016, 21:48

Hi guys.
This is my first post here but been looking around during a wile since i got my Omega TC2.
I am writing now because i got a problem and hopefully you can adress me through the right solution.
My watch was working properly 100% with its original Omega module: one day i went to check the watch and discovered that the batteries were almost dead. Left the watch sitting during some months and finally replaced batteries today. Turned the watch on and was happy to see the leds alive again, but happiness didn't last because i discovered that one line of leds is not turning on. It's the hour first digit, the ONE that only appears at 10-11-12 and only the below half of it. :-(
Very very sad about it: tried to remove and reinstall batteries but no joy. So here i am hoping to get some advice about how to solve the problem IF there is a solution. I really would like to keep my original module instead of looking for a modern one if it's possible.
Thank you for reading and comments.
Cheers

fronzelneekburm

Guru

Guru

Re: Got a problem here.

Post08 Feb 2016, 12:18

Sounds like a bad circuit line to me. Good news is that tehse used encapsulated LED displays, so the display module itself is usually still good. If washing and error search won't help you could also use a Hamilton module, afaik these were the same besides the quartz crystal (Omega used a "nicer" crystal").

world-is-yours

Post08 Feb 2016, 13:32

Hey, thanx for your input. Now the funny thing is that this morning when i checked the time all digits worked flawlessly each time i turned the leds on. Checked again some minutes ago and again the ONE had theproblem of lighting only half....... :-|
Hamilton module can be an option same as Pulsar for what i know: the problem is that neither are easy to find in working condition.
:bye:

PS: what do you mean with "If washing and error search won't help"?

fronzelneekburm

Guru

Guru

Post08 Feb 2016, 13:51

washing can be done with formic acid (Or vinegar). Search for "vinegar" if you wanna read some people discussing about it here. Searching for errors can be done with a magnifying glass to spot corroded or cracked spots.

world-is-yours

Post08 Feb 2016, 15:49

Will check and update with results. Thank you sir.

world-is-yours

Post08 Feb 2016, 16:11

Ok, tried to find a guide but no luck. Should i dip into vinegar all the module? Is it safe to dip leds into liquid?
Cheers

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post08 Feb 2016, 19:40

Are you using silver oxide batteries? If not I would try the watch with new silver oxide batteries before doing anything else.

Applying heat or cold can sometimes have a positive effect albeit often temporary.

I would recommend cleaning the contacts with a fibre tipped pen - even when the traces and contacts look clean they can be contaminated with an invisible film.

I personally would not risk killing the module completely by trying a Vinegar bath but if that is what you want to do a keyword search for 'vinegar' ( search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keywords=vinegar&start=22 ) you will find lots of information on the subject, personally I only use it as a last resort when there is nothing else to loose - dropping the whole module into a vinegar bath followed by a bicarbonate of soda bath to neutralise followed by a bath in distilled water to wash, then allowing to dry thoroughly... .... ... there is no exact science with this method it is just a case of using your judgement - it has only ever worked for me on the odd occasion.

world-is-yours

Post08 Feb 2016, 19:48

copy/paste my answer in other 3D :-D

Thanx bucko. I did a search but didn't find any step by step guide. In my case it's only half digit (the first ONE at 10-11-12) and it happen that sometimes it does even work; this on/off behaviour seems to me like a "dirt" problem more than something really faulty that i believe would give as behaviour an always off set of leds. Opinions?
Cheers

world-is-yours

Post08 Feb 2016, 19:50

Not sure about the kind of batteries are being used, but i guess that have been installed the most common batteries on market (maxell if i'm not wrong).
When you talk about cleaning the contacts, you refer at the ones of the batteries or something else?
cheers

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post08 Feb 2016, 20:08

Silver oxides have a more stable output and are the better batteries to use for these watches, they are very easy to find and well worth the effort. I have a Pulsar 'Pulse' LED watch (my avatar) which has the same problem, if alkaline batteries are installed it looses a segment from one of the digits but works perfect with silver oxides batteries.

I use a fibre tipped pen to clean the contacts and traces - clean them all, it only takes a few seconds just avoid any exposed wire bonds.

Geoff's list of simple checks and procedures is a good one to follow! ;-)

world-is-yours

Post08 Feb 2016, 20:14

Thanx mate, will look for the batteries tomorrow.....hopefully it's the reason and i can avoid baths and showers. :-D
cheers

charger105

Guru

Guru

Post09 Feb 2016, 03:35

I would say that it's almost certainly the display "stick" that has a problem.
The module has one circuit/connection (to the display) for each segment(7), and one connection for each digit(4).

We know the digit connection/circuit is good because you are getting the top half. We know the segment circuit/connection is good because this segment is appearing on all of the other digits.

It's possible to swap the display. Hanno (user-name SASM) might be willing to do it for you.
Bruce Wegmann might also be willing to do it for you.
Rgds,
Andrew.

world-is-yours

Post09 Feb 2016, 12:12

Thanx charger.
Last 12h working just perfectly: will have a try with batteries and deoxide before choosing anything else.
Will update. ;-)

world-is-yours

Post10 Feb 2016, 12:50

By sure my watch has some personality......looks like the issue it's only at 10-11-12 PM......in the morning works flawlessly. Does it make sense or it's just casual?

ckracing

Post15 Feb 2016, 00:51

Vinegar is acetic acid. Some stinging insects produce formic acid.
CK

Return to Omega and GP