It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:53

OMEGA A Journey Through Time Book Question

• Author

SASM

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

OMEGA A Journey Through Time Book Question

Post30 Dec 2016, 16:05

Does anybody have the book and is it worth a high price? Thank you, Hanno.

767Geoff

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Re: OMEGA A Journey Through Time Book Question

Post30 Dec 2016, 19:49

Short answer:

Yes and yes!

Longer answer:

I have over 60 Omegas ranging back to one of the first prototype made for the wrist, wristlets. Some digitals of course from the early seventies, connies, speedmaster of various flavours, chronographs, seamasters, moonphase, trench and etc. This book is extremely valuable when I do museum restorations. The number of designs and the ability to find, spot marriages and correct makes this book worth every cent. Let alone it is just plain interesting.

As far as the digitasl go, not the greatest coverage. Akin to why do Klingons look human in the 'original series' and have weird heads in the 'next generation' (brought up by someone to Worf in 'deep space nine'. His answer was "not something we talk about). It would seem the digitals are an embarrassment era for Omega, especially the non omega designed movements. They do get discussed and displayed but just not to the extent of an inhouse movement such as the albatross or any of the LCD 16xx series.

All the best for 2017.

Geoff

PS. You will be getting a repair and replacement package in the mail in 2017, my watch repair budget kicks in on the new year :lol:

SASM

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post30 Dec 2016, 21:36

Hello Geoff,

great, I can get a brand new book and I am looking forward to purchasing it.
I still haven´t received the circuit boards for the Beta21 yet but I should get the first module assembled by the end of next week.

Hanno.

gjlelec

Wizard

Wizard

Post31 Dec 2016, 15:04

Back in 2008 i think it was, i loaned the Museum an 18ct TC1 (they still have it) so they sent the book free. Agree with Geoff, amazing book (huge and heavy too) but not in depth on the digital side. Also makes me think Omega sort of sat on their hands after the 70s

SASM

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post04 Jan 2017, 21:19

Bought the book now together with some other stuff. The Beta21 circuit boards arrived finally so that I can assemble the first unit tonight. I am sure I still have to order some parts fo the final version but that shoudln´t take longer than a few days.

767Geoff

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post05 Jan 2017, 03:05

Looking forward to the PCB replacement boar.

Have a watch waiting!

Geoff

Return to Omega and GP