It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:43

Omega TC1 variations

• Author

bathroomboy

Omega TC1 variations

Post09 Mar 2021, 00:50

Hi,

I recently purchased another Gold filled TC1 and noticed a couple of variations to my existing. My existing TC1 had a Champion watch strap stating Gold filled, but no mention of Omega. However the new purchase has Omega on it but says Gold plated.... 20 microns.

Is the Champion bracelet a Frankenwatch.... or did they use both? Just always thought the bracelet was 80 microns.

The other difference is the watch crystal logo. One is a dull Matt gold (looks baked?) where my new purchase is really shiny gold? Just wondered again what one is correct?

Sorry for these boring questions...but I really love these watches. I have three Pulsar P2’s which are amazing... but there is something about the rectangular case which I find mesmerizing!

Thanks for any help

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Re: Omega TC1 variations

Post10 Mar 2021, 07:26

There are at least five.

14K yellow goldfilled.
14K white goldfilled.
Stainless steel.
18K solid gold.
14K YGF on leather strap. I mention this as a legitimate variation, as the case lugs are different, and cannot be fitted with a metal bracelet.

There are at least four variations of the glass/logo combination.

Standard glass-frit (fired-on) omega symbol and logo. (White and gold lettering)
Glass-frit omega symbol only (upper-left corner). (Yellow; white version may exist)
Embossed (depressed) symbol and logo. (Yellow lettering only)
Evaporated gold. (Yellow lettering only)

I have seen goldfilled TC1s with plain glass (no symbol or logo); I think it likely that these started life with evaporated-gold that simply wore away completely from daily wear; I have one or two Pulsar P3 crystals of the same type that now have only partially-legible logos. The gold here is actually thinner than gold leaf (probably only a micron or two), so the slightest contact with skin or clothing would produce noticeable abrasion. They are beautiful when new (the lettering takes on the polished surface of the glass, and has a flashy, mirror-like quality to it), but they have no durability whatever.

As for the bracelet...it might be original to the watch...pics would help with a determination.

bathroomboy

Post11 Mar 2021, 00:38

A36A9A72-3C34-40FE-B071-08C76286FD0B.jpeg
974B6B0A-5405-4670-AC61-8FA6440C340A.jpeg
Hi Bruce,

Thank you very much for your explanation. Without people like yourself the history of these watches would fall into oblivion.

I am going to try and attach some photos. My first purchase is a bit scratched, but that suits me as I wear it everyday. (This one has the Champion bracelet and Matt logo).

My recent purchase has very minimal wear apart from one deep scratch on the logo wording unfortunately. However I got it for a really good price so can’t complain. Would be great to find a new crystal.. (Like unicorns teeth!) but the logo on this one is as shiny as polished gold and looks amazing in the sunlight.

Thanks again :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post11 Mar 2021, 02:26

Yes...the Champion bracelets ARE original to the watch. I just looked through all my Omegas, and there is a mix of both Champion and Omega-marked bracelets (but, the links are all identical). It may be that Omega had parts-sourcing problems similar to those that Time Computer had.
On the glass, your top pic is of the glass-frit type...the letters have visible thickness, and can be felt if you run a fingernail across them (they won't scratch...they're as hard as the glass they're fused to). Oh, and the dull surface is properly called a "matte" finish (proof coins minted in the early 20th century had a fine sandblasted finish, instead of mirrored surfaces, and are called "matte proofs").
I do have some spare new glass for these, but they would be outrageously expensive, and justifiable only if the watch was going to be restored to mint condition.

bathroomboy

Post12 Mar 2021, 00:17

Thank you Bruce very much for that information.

I’m pleased that the champion bracelet is original. I will obviously just have to be very careful with the Gold logo crystal and try not to wipe the logo off when cleaning it! Not very practical really... but looks nice. ( I will have to start saving for the New crystal!)

Just lastly if you didn’t mind, is the bracelet on the Omega TC1 Gold filled 80 microns or plated 20 microns. The Omega logo bracelet says Gold plated and the Champion Gold filled. Very strange?

Thanks again for all your help :)

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post12 Mar 2021, 00:31

All goldfilled bracelets for the Time Computer (Pulsar) watches were 20-micron thickness...I think it's safe to assume that Omega bracelets were done to the same standard. Goldfill and plating are NOT the same process...plating is rarely thicker than 2-5 microns (most decorative plating, on surfaces not intended to be touched or worn, is typically 1-2 microns), and, thickness considerations aside, are softer and less durable.

bathroomboy

Post13 Mar 2021, 00:20

Thanks Bruce,

I’ve learnt so much about Pulsar and Omega from reading this forum (Including your informative posts) and other resources on the net. I do hope the younger generation appreciate all these LED masterpieces and whilst their playing “Call Of Duty” on the Xbox/PlayStation, they realize that the amazing technology in their circuitry is where the games consoles were born.

Yes, a smart watch is fantastic..... but not a patch on what it must of been like to purchase your new Pulsar/Omega from a jewelry store in the early seventies, when the silicone chip finally became in reach of Joe Public.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post22 Nov 2022, 05:59

I have a sixth variation of the TC1 , properly factory marked on the inside caseback. . . .
18k white-gold filled with a left-to-right brushed pattern(heavy). Rarew or what:?! For sale? I will!! How much? North of $10k :)
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post06 May 2023, 03:31

retroleds wrote:I have a sixth variation of the TC1 , properly factory marked on the inside caseback. . . .
18k white-gold filled with a left-to-right brushed pattern(heavy). Rare, or what?! For sale? I will!! How much? North of $10k :)

ED...you know the rules for something like this. PICS...or it isn't real. Have to see to believe, as they say.

Return to Omega and GP