It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 03:40

Quiz Error - Synch was first

• Author

RaWatch

Geek

Geek

Quiz Error - Synch was first

Post14 May 2006, 23:55

In the June 2006 issue of WatchTime magazine there is a quiz on wristwatch ?Famous Firsts.? For the question on which was the first solar-powered wristwatch, the answer is listed as Citizen. Citizen did sell the first solar-powered analog watch, the Crystron Solar Cell in 1976.

I have just written the magazine to clarify that the first solar watch was digital and that it was introduced in 1972.

I listed some websites to see examples and buy examples.

I ended the letter with a paragraph:

It is unfortunate that the Synchronar is not more widely known in the circle of those who appreciate fine watches. WatchTime champions finely made mechanical watch but acknowledges the design, quality and innovation of such electronic digital watches as Ventura?s v-tec MSG. Surely the Synchronar and its inventor, Roger Reihl, deserve the acknowledgement and appreciation of all those who value innovations in the field. It is remark that the watch that was on the vanguard of the ?quartz revolution? is still in production today as an atelier timepiece. After more than 30 years of production it remains one of the most distinctive and innovative wristwatches of the 20th century.

Return to Synchronar