It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:07

new to me novus watches.

• Author

sbugajsk

new to me novus watches.

Post13 Apr 2014, 14:16

Hi everyone. I am new here and just purchased my first set of LEDs. I got a novus "mirror" watch and another one that looks like this
( http://www.theretroworld.com/novus-led- ... vus-brand/ ). My questions for you guys are can you tell me what the original modules are for these watches? the "mirrior" watch has a dot display but the module is either missing the 2nd time zone contact or its the wrong module and someone put another one in model number WM 04. The other watch has the contact for the 2nd time zone but it only has a pusher at 2 and 4 and nothing on the left of the wathc model wm 06. it has a line segment display. I tried to switch them out but they aren't quite the same thickness. both of them seem to be working except the WM 04 I can't get it to set the minutes.

second, are the modules for these watches hard to find and any idea if I was to get one repaired about how much it would cost?

Third, can you direct me to anyone who can repair these if they need to be fixed?

Thanks
Sam

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Re: new to me novus watches.

Post13 Apr 2014, 15:27

Hello Sam and welcome to the forum. :-)

Member Azimuth website contains some excellent information on this watch.. .. .. http://www.crazywatches.pl/novus-nation ... r-led-1975

I do not have the watch in question so I am unable to fully answer your questions but I am sure other members will be along shortly to help out.

"willkommen"

Update: According to Peter Wenzig's website the correct module is the National Semiconductor, WM06 with 2nd time zone indication, Ref: http://www.digitalwatches.de/ENGLISH_INDEX.HTM - under digital watch archive.

sbugajsk

Post13 Apr 2014, 15:54

thanks for the reply! so according to that site it looks like the wrong module is in both watches? also its interesting that the WM 06 module that I do have is too thin to fit in the "mirror "watch, which is supposed to the be the module for that watch according to his web site. Maybe mine are of a different year, which I don't know how to find.

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post13 Apr 2014, 20:27

Give it a day or so and Piotr or other member(s) will be along to answer your questions in the mean time a few photographs would help with your enquiry.

sbugajsk

Post13 Apr 2014, 23:05

Thanks. I'll see if I can get some pics of it.
update: here's pics of the modules
this is the wm04 module and I think its missing the 2nd time zone contact?

sbugajsk

Post18 Apr 2014, 01:31

anyone have any idea on my situation?

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post18 Apr 2014, 19:11

Referring back to Piotr's web-site the module photographed with his Novus 'mirror' is marked as WM08, which would suggest that neither of the modules that you have are correct for the watch.

novusmirrorled3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post18 Apr 2014, 19:12

Some input from other forum members would be welcome. ;-)

Or is it :secret:

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post19 Apr 2014, 06:56

Hi there Sam, we emailed a while back.
the module type is not the best reference as with most watches you could define if you want the basic or upgraded version.
on the other hand people have probably been swapping modules in this watch in the last 40 years.
I don't have my watch at hand but I believe that you are missing the battery clip that holds the batteries in the plastic holder.
This clip then connects to the caseback to close the circuit.
Apply some aluminum foil for the time being and see if it works.
"The first and still only LED watch maniac in the East Block" - www.crazywatches.pl

sbugajsk

Post19 Apr 2014, 14:56

Oh yes nice to talk to you again! well the watch(mirror watch) does work it's just that the 2nd time zone doesn't function because the module is either missing the contact or it just doesn't have that function. the watch case has the button on the lower left for the function. I do in fact have the battery connector for the other watch I just didn't have it in pictures. I am more focused on trying to get the "mirror" watch to work properly than the other one. DO you know where I could purchase a correct functioning movement or about how much it would cost? Thanks again!
update:
WM-01: 12hr H,M,S
WM-02: 12hr H,M,S,D
WM-03: 24hr H,M,S,D
WM-04: 12hr H,M,S,D
WM-05: 24hr H,M,S,D
WM-06: 12hr H,M,S,MO,D, Second Time Zone
WM-E7: 24hr H,M,S,MO,D, Second Time Zone
WM-09: 12hr H,M,S,MO,D,DOW
according to this post the wm04 doesn't have the 2nd time zone function and the wm06 does. but unfortunately because of thickness variations the 06 wont fit in the mirror watch!

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post19 Apr 2014, 18:59

If the module contacts line up with the command buttons then all you need is to add or make a contact (battery clip) from the batteries to the case back (as Azimuth says) if the module sits to deep inside the case then you could also place a rubber washer inside the case first to raise it up a little and get it to align.

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post19 Apr 2014, 19:46

or you can transplant the circuit board from one plastic carrier to the other...as long as they match
"The first and still only LED watch maniac in the East Block" - www.crazywatches.pl

sbugajsk

Post23 Apr 2014, 03:12

I might try the washer idea. I don't have the skills to moved the electronic around. Do any of you have any clue where I could try purchasing a refurbished module or have mine fixed? I tried to contact Ed from retro leds, I think that's his name. Haven't heard back yet. Are there any other places that might take a look at this?

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post23 Apr 2014, 15:36

sbugajsk wrote:.........Do any of you have any clue where I could try purchasing a refurbished module or have mine fixed?

Peter Wenzig might have a spare http://www.digitalwatches.de/ENGLISH_INDEX.HTM

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post23 Apr 2014, 16:22

Peter Wenzig is not keen to sell his spares so you'd be better off to buy a no-name LED on eBay.
I would give it a try but I'm to busy lately.

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post23 Apr 2014, 17:24

azimuth_pl wrote:.....you'd be better off to buy a no-name LED on eBay.

Although finding a dual time zone display module might require patiences as they do not crop up that often, Peter Wenzig would be an excellent choice for repair work.

sbugajsk

Post24 Apr 2014, 02:00

ok thanks guys! I really appreciate all the help. hopefully I wasn't too bothersome seeing as I am a novice to these things.

sbugajsk

Post28 Apr 2014, 02:54

Well I was able to make the swap of the 06 in the right watch! awesome! I have another questions for you experts out there. The watch is in no means NOS condition but it mostly has light scratches on it. Would it be best just to leave it as is or can you guys give me any tips on how to polish stainless steel? I do have a buffer wheel that I can put on a power drill but I don't know what type of polish to use. Any of you guys done this type of thing to this specific watch? Thanks!

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post28 Apr 2014, 09:12

Good to hear about progress!
In reference to polishing I'd leave it as is if you intend to wear it.
It will get scratched anyway.
But if you'd like to use it as an exhibition watch you should start first with abrasive paper to remove deep scratches.
Start with 200 or higher and finish with 1500-2000 grit.
Then polishing with a car polishing compound like Autosol will finish the job quickly and nicely.
PS. You might need to remove the crystal and buttons to restore it perfectly.

sbugajsk

Post01 May 2014, 04:15

do you think refinishing it will add value to the watch it if makes it look better or will it make the value go down ? even though its not mint id still like to keep the resale value as high as possible.

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post01 May 2014, 10:31

It all depends what tools, skills and patience you have.
The better the outcome the higher the value.
If you can buff it to a good enough level that should suffice.
Due to the mirror finish such watches are extremely difficult to polish to a 100% factory finish...unless you have a full set of abrasives and various compounds.

Led-Time

Guru

Guru

Post13 May 2014, 00:37

How did you get on with the module fitting in your mirror watch as I have probably a carrier that will fit, it will mean transplanting the circuit board from one to another, can you measure the thickness of the modules and let me know.

Quick question...does your two modules keeping time the NSC modules have a tendency to go off quite a bit a simple and cheap QC change fixes this.

Return to All other LED watches