It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:34

Led pocket watch project

• Author

Andrew Babanin

Techie

Techie

Led pocket watch project

Post25 Dec 2021, 15:42

A few years ago among watch parts I found parts of pocket watch and assemled them together into dummy watch. It is not ready case - there's no plating. I do not even know - it should be GP or chrome plated. The dial should be decorated with piece of semi-precious stone. I got info from ex worker, he told me, that mabe half of dozen of these watches was produced for presents. Also he mentioned, that it was built on standard module with small changes.
So I decided to make my own module, inspired by my knowledge of other watches for presents.
The watch is dedicated to the jubily of Perer the Great monument installation (Bronze Horseman). Sculptor Etienne Maurice Falkonet. So I guess it planned to produce in 1978.

I took a plastic ring cut with lazer by my draft.

Then I've made turning and milling works for best module accomodation. But made a small mistake in calculations - digits are not in the center of window - a bit lower.

So I decided to make my own module for this exact case. I took a blank ceramic plate, glued in digits as high as possible. For now digits are in right position.

I glued in other stuff, bonded it with aluminium wire, glued in caps on wells, block of lens. Then made contact board for buttons and screwed it in to my plastic ring, conneced module and board with wires.

Case back view

When you push a button to open the upper cover - the watch indicates time. I like to transform dummy watch into real one :)

The proof of the pudding is in the eating...

Caruso

Wizard

Wizard

Re: Led pocket watch project

Post18 Feb 2022, 00:44

That is brilliant!
Check out my vintage digital channel on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/danhay1137

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Re: Led pocket watch project

Post19 Feb 2022, 13:27

thx Caruso for uppen this post...i still can not understand that i missed this.

Wow Andrew, incredible work... i always appreciate people thinkering and creating stuff. Super combination of early watchmaking and 70ties style. Can you imagine taking this out of your pocket to tell time to someone :-D super!!!!
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

Return to All other LED watches