It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 13:10

FUTURE of LED Watch Values

• Author

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Re: FUTURE of LED Watch Values

Post15 Mar 2006, 17:16

Yup, noticed that too. That's because some people are away on March holidays and sellers are wise to the fact that bidding is very LOW or nonexistant right now. I'm actually going to sell some of those Novus watches, I have up, to a local store. Never thought I'd see the day where I would be doing that with nice watches like these.

This time last year things were booming. But it might help to know that the previous year was like this as well. (Yes I keep track).

MJ

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post16 Mar 2006, 12:16

Well its nice to know people in Germany are still willing to spend the big bucks. :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8912095598

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post17 Mar 2006, 17:42

MJ wrote: That's because some people are away on March holidays and sellers are wise to the fact that bidding is very LOW or nonexistant right now.

A bigger factor might be that for the U.S. buyers, April will be BOTH the big vacation month(not March...it all ties in to Easter break for like 99% of us), AND our taxes are due on April 15th. Considering that, the market is doing great. Last year, Easter(and that expensive vacation/break perios) were in March...breaking it away from the April 15th tax date. Not like U.S. buyers "run" the market(actually the european sellers have the nicest stuff, IMO), but we are a large force. I have a brother who is an attorney - business is slow compared to a month ago, ditto with my other computer clients(my real job -Ha!). Don't let the tail wag the dog lads...if you can weather the slow months of summer, people will start "nesting" again come fall, like the birds in the spring. IMO. 8)

Seer Taak

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post17 Mar 2006, 19:45

MJ wrote:Well its nice to know people in Germany are still willing to spend the big bucks. :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8912095598

I saw that too. Uli Sick almost always seems to get good prices, but then again, he deserves them. Good pics, honest description, huge feedback. I've bought a few things off him, and they're always just perfect. Wonder how much of his business, or anyone elses, is from repeat buyers?

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post18 Mar 2006, 02:22

I saw that too. Uli Sick almost always seems to get good prices, but then again, he deserves them. Good pics, honest description, huge feedback. I've bought a few things off him, and they're always just perfect. Wonder how much of his business, or anyone elses, is from repeat buyers?

Well I have all that but not the huge feedback. :) Anyway judging from his feedback, I'd say 80% of his bidders are from Germany. To be honest, I'm surprised he does so well with private auctions. I know a lot of bidders who won't take part in them. But people in Germany don't seem to mind it at all.

MJ

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post18 Mar 2006, 04:51

MJ wrote:
But people in Germany don't seem to mind it at all.
MJ
Hell-o, others don't either! Keeps people's ego out of the mix...then again, nobody but you and Uli know that you got that wonderful item. :( :( :( :( Oh, the tragedy!! I say all winners of hidden auctions should show us their goodies. I mean watches,watches! :oops:

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post18 Mar 2006, 05:48

Most do mind. I read a lot in the Ebay community forums and many bidders stay away from private auctions. There is much potential for sellers to shill bid and no one can report it to Ebay.

I've thought about private auctions because I think some of my bidders get emailed with other offers but I think it would do more harm than good. Germans & Austrians are very private people. (I won't get in to why). You can't even search what they are bidding on, so it's no problem with bidders in that part of the world.

Anyway, I'm glad you like private auctions. There have been things I've purchased for lady friends of mine where I wished the auction was private. :)

Actually I might make one of my auctions this Sunday private.

Hey lets play a game! How many times have I used the word "private" in this post? :)

MJ

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post18 Mar 2006, 05:57

business is slow compared to a month ago, ditto with my other computer clients(my real job -Ha!). Don't let the tail wag the dog lads...if you can weather the slow months of summer, people will start "nesting" again come fall, like the birds in the spring. IMO

Last summer, LED Watches, were hot, hot, hot! I was going to take the summer off from Ebay last year but the way things were going, I decided not to. Should be interesting what happens this year.

Fall has ALWAYS been dismal for LED watch sales. People are back to school and starting new jobs. Between the last week of August and the third week of November is the worst time to let your nice LED treasures to go. It's a great time for bidders, assuming anything decent is auctioned.

MJ

Seer Taak

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post18 Mar 2006, 14:47

MJ wrote:

Well I have all that but not the huge feedback. :) Anyway judging from his feedback, I'd say 80% of his bidders are from Germany. To be honest, I'm surprised he does so well with private auctions. I know a lot of bidders who won't take part in them. But people in Germany don't seem to mind it at all.

MJ

I know, but I was just speaking form personal experience. I agree with you, and when I get around to buying from you or joeywaycool etc. i'll be singng your praises too :)

My view on the private thing is pretty indifferent. I know it gives the seler scope to up the price dishonestly, but if I stick to my target, it's no big deal for me. Mind you, I've never got a bargain from a private auction :?
One reaon it may be good is the fact other bidders cant see if you're bidding.

I've often thought that the presence of a well respected name in an auction bidding list attracts more attention, and bids, to an item. For example a badly photographed item, that many would overlook, and could be a bargin for someone, but the presence of a 'big name' bidder encourages folks to think it is worth bidding for.

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post18 Mar 2006, 15:33

My view on the private thing is pretty indifferent. I know it gives the seler scope to up the price dishonestly, but if I stick to my target, it's no big deal for me.

Good point!

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post18 Mar 2006, 16:35

From a buyer's perspective (I haven't sold anything on ebay yet):
I don't like private auctions. I miss the community feeling. It's nice to meet the usual suspects over and over again in auctions, even when I'm not bidding but only watching (no pun intended) - this is an important part of the 'ebay experience' IMHO. I hate bidding against an anonymous person or not even knowing who 'won'.
I only bid on private auctions when I either know the seller or he has very good feedback, as I always ask myself 'what is he trying to hide?', and I can't be sure he won't push the price.
I don't mind that others can see me bidding - I have nothing to hide (BTW: I'm German).

@abacus: I totally agree with your last point. A 'big name' on the bidding list does encourage others - I'd even say it makes an item a little suspect if there's no 'big name' on the list.

ledwatch

Banned

Post18 Mar 2006, 21:19

All points here are very good ones but from a sellers poit of view its a good idea to list a very high value item as a private sale because theres a few collectors out there who will email bidders in order to interfere with auctions of high value items. Im sure you all know what I mean!

ibuyufly09

Nerd

Nerd

Post18 Mar 2006, 21:55

Being a seller of many watches it came down to the last straw when my pictures were taken by dishonest people,and then the watch was resold,this happend to a Ebayer who bid on a Neiman Marcus led watch he didnt win,but a fraudster seen him bidding and used my picts and the bidder thinking it was me sent him 600usd,needless to say it was all phoney.So the only way I can see to beat thease low lifes is to make the auction private?most people after seeing the feedback will decide if they want to bid,and some will ask why it private in the first place,,I have many return buyers and many new buyers and I dont think that haveing my auctions private affect sales,,lower end watches the common stuff they are not private as a fraudster wont waste his time on 50 to 100usd :!:

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post18 Mar 2006, 22:24

IMO,Ignore all contacts from other bidders and sellers, unless they are pointing out a defect in the item, which is visible in the pictures, but easy to miss.
:? I'd like some dialog on "hidden reserves" - is the idea that buyers will be more motivated if they don't know how high the "bar" is, or is the thinking that once a bidder has stabbed at the price enough time to "find" the hidden reserve" price, they will feel they just have to have it?
I'm certainly guilty on both accounts - sick!! :oops:
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.
Previous

Return to All other LED watches