It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 08:22

Trivia Question...

• Author

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Trivia Question...

Post14 Mar 2006, 08:36

How many Bulova Accuquartz LED Watches (the ones with the stem) were made? You can either describe each or just give a number.

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Re: Trivia Question...

Post14 Mar 2006, 09:49

We will probably have the same problem here as with the Pulsars; there are no immediately available records to consult. The only potential advantage is that Bulova is still in business [I think], and it may be possible to make a direct inquiry [I am told Omega has been co-operative with collectors in the past, so this might be a viable line of investigation]. Of course, we won't know if Bulova has any interest in helping until someone actually asks them the question...

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post14 Mar 2006, 10:16

Oh Bruce...You're making this so hard. :) Well let me just say that in the past 5 years of collecting LED watches and surfing Ebay everyday, looking at them and drooling over some LED watches that I can't afford, I have seen only 3 models.

1) The gold tone N4 (1974) with the "bark" face. I call this one the Elvis watch.

2) The stainless steel N4

3) The gold tone N5, which was the last one made.

These are all pictured on ledwatches.net. There is one picture there that looks like a gold version of the second one I listed but it's just a bad photo.

Anyway my point to this post is that I have unearthed a 4th one that I have never seen nor heard about. It is all stirling silver with 14K gold trim and has the original price tag on it of $1000! This is also an N4 watch. It was probably made to compete with a similar one that Wittnauer had.

I'll post a photo of it here shortly.

MJ
Last edited by Majestyk on 23 May 2006, 09:33, edited 2 times in total.

Seer Taak

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post14 Mar 2006, 11:29

Is it one of those types with a hammered, or bark effect, finish?

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post14 Mar 2006, 11:34

That's the type, but I wouldn't refer to it as a hammered effect. Actually it looks nicer than the Wittnauer.

There are only two of these types (counting this one) if I'm not mistaken.

If I stick this on Ebay (95% sure I will) I think the winner of it will want it for collectors sake and not for their wrist.

MJ

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post23 May 2006, 09:31

Well we can add a 5th version of this watch. I found one recently that not only did I not know existed (with no photos anywhere) but I've always wished it did. It is a stainless steel version of the gold tone N4 with the bark face. Two differences with this one...The lettering is not engraved but more embroidered looking with a cool reflective silver tone. The clasp is identicle, with no Bulova signing on it, to the stirling silver/gold one that I (sort of) auctioned earilier this year; except it is stainless steel. I'm guessing this is a very early design and probably abandoned in favor of the polished face stainless steel watch which came later in '74. The module has the AM dot along with the time, not just the date, so it's one of the first "out the door".

I'll have a photo of it soon if anyone is interested. I'm not sure if I'm going Ebay this one...I really like it, but I might change my mind.

Jeff

Return to All other LED watches