It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 17:32

Introduction

• Author

daniel_baum

Introduction

Post29 Apr 2006, 23:23

Hi all,

This is my first posting to this forum. I have never collected watches before; my old watch (a Seiko analogue) recently fell to bits, and I needed a watch. I had an LED watch when I was about 12 years old, and searched for "LED watch" on Google, and now I'm kind of hooked. Since I have been reading this forum for several days, I thought I'd introduce myself.

My name is Daniel. I have bought three watches, none of which you would consider "collectors' items", but they do all work, AFAIK. So far I've only received one of them, and I'm extremely pleased with it. It's very nostalgic.

I won't be a collector in the serious sense of the word, because I already have one extremely expensive hobby and can't afford another one. But I really like the old LED watches and will probably develop a modest collection of the less expensive ones.

Finally, I found a picture of me aged 12 or 13, in 1976 or 1977, wearing my old LED watch. I think it was just a cheapo no-name one, but I liked it.

I will probably mostly lurk from now on.

Daniel

BTW, if you want to see what my other extremely expensive hobby is, go here: http://www.type34.info

Planet-LED

Techie

Techie

Re: Introduction

Post30 Apr 2006, 04:48

I won't be a collector in the serious sense of the word, because I already have one extremely expensive hobby and can't afford another one. But I really like the old LED watches and will probably develop a modest collection of the less expensive ones.

Yeah,
We all said that at one time too.

Seriously, welcome aboard Daniel.

Seer Taak

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post30 Apr 2006, 07:56

daniel_baum wrote:.....BTW, if you want to see what my other extremely expensive hobby is, go here: http://www.type34.info

Expensive, time consuming, but no doubt very rewarding :D I've always loved the look of classic cars myself. I'f I had the time and money, my ultimate (one day acheivable?) classic would be a Jensen Interceptor, or an Austin Healy. Welcome to the forum :)

Fitron

Wizard

Wizard

Post01 May 2006, 17:47

Very expensive, I had a Triumph Spitfire for over 10 years and I spent thousands on it and uncountable hours and emotional investment on her. I sold her when I needed more than 2 seats.

One month later I hear on the local radio a song dedicated to the new owner in memory of his one month owned spitfire that had been wiped out as some plonk jumped a red into him. No-one hurt but the back of the car ceased to exist. He'd promised to look after her as well ... I'm going to stick to LED's (bit I ain't told my wife yet :wink: )

Lordpulsar

Techie

Techie

Post01 May 2006, 18:07

I found a picture of me aged 12 or 13, in 1976 or 1977, wearing my old LED watch

Love the flares too !! (Trousers)

Diginut

Techie

Techie

Post02 May 2006, 00:38

Welcome to the group, I hope you enjoy your stay here !

It sounds to me like Daniel has uncovered some of the members other collecting habits, and I would include myself in that becuase since early 90's to date I have collected various Group B rally cars - these are the magnificent OTT mega power cars from racings 'No Rules' category, which were banned shortly after inception due to various "homologation specials" attempting to take off 500ft clifs, and sadly plowing into crowds due to lack of spectator control in places like portugal. They were mostley adapted to road use, in very small quantities, and made for addictive performance beyond anything that even current so called supercars offer, albeit in a somewhat more agicultural way. However, fun whilst this has been (600bhp, 4wd, and under 1ton = serious performance on the road or track) its been stupendously expensive. At one point I had 8 of the buggers, but this was also like having 8 kids kids with 8 sets of wet nappies and so I reduced my collection to make it more manageable.

I enjoyed those years hugely and would do it all again (mostly), and you only live once etc, but collecting/restoring/fixing LED and LCD watches from the 70s is easier, and transporting them about in the form of post is somewhat cheaper too !

Anyone else out there in collector land want to share some thoughts on their habits with us ??

Anyway, enjoy the forum :)

daniel_baum

Post02 May 2006, 12:08

Thanks everyone. Interesting to hear that I'm not the only one with the same diseases :wink: .

Anyway, in the mean time, all of the watches that I bought have arrived. The only one worth mentioning here is this:

It's a Rexos. It works very nicely. From what I've read on this forum and elsewhere it has a couple of slightly unusual features. It is a 24 hour watch, with no option to change to 12H, and it has a dot-matrix display. The second button just displays the date, with no month. It is also a model that does not appear on www.ledwatches.net. Maybe I should send him a picture of it.

Regards to all,

Daniel

Planet-LED

Techie

Techie

Post02 May 2006, 21:52

Daniel,

I have never heard of that brand before, but it is a nice looking watch. Definately, send a picture to www.ledwatches.net

daniel_baum

Post03 May 2006, 11:13

HDLED wrote:Daniel,

I have never heard of that brand before, but it is a nice looking watch. Definately, send a picture to www.ledwatches.net

Well, it appears they had at least one more model:

http://www.ledwatches.net/photo-pages/rexos.htm

D.

Return to All other LED watches