Post22 Jun 2006, 21:30

Very Average, I think .. :(

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Re: SATURN LED WATCH

Post23 Jun 2006, 04:53

Average in a decent kind of way I'd say...but watch out, many of their models have the buttons in the hideously rare 2(time/10(set) button pattern, so if you buy a dead one, it may stay a dead one for a long time before you find a module for it. The factory module is actually pretty decent.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post23 Jun 2006, 06:28

Well they are no more average than Compuchrons, Novus's, and watches in that middle range. Little1up is correct about the module. They are very well built but I would only recommend the 355 battery ones. The 386 were not as well made. The modules are harder to replace but so are the 25mm Hughes in the Compuchrons, etc. They are very sought after modules since so many don't work.

I will say, I've got a lot more for watches that aren't as nice as the Saturn I have up for sale. :)

digibloke

Wizard

Wizard

Post26 Jul 2006, 23:19

I just finished convincing an Armitron "faux" drivers watch to come back to life. It's got the 10 to 2 module that takes 386 batteries and I think it's a pretty robust piece of kit. It had battery leakage all over the place but with cleaned contacts, a new quartz x-tal and a new rubber O ring on the front (very important or the module makes contact with the case and goes nuts) it's running great. The only problem I have with these watches (Saturns, Armitrons and Intechrons) is the time screen lenses they used. I've seen better quality plastic on sweet wrappers.

Really nice case designs though.

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post27 Jul 2006, 09:28

The only problem I have with these watches (Saturns, Armitrons and Intechrons) is the time screen lenses they used. I've seen better quality plastic on sweet wrappers.

I've never had an issue with their lenes myself. I had one Saturn watch where the lens was very stubborn going in (they fit in from the inside) and I ended up having to apply a ton of preasure doing so, with a loud, scary snapping noise when it went in. I thought I cracked it but it was ok. I certainly wouldn't say they are any worse than the other plastic lenes used on 70's LED watches. If they get scratched, they are very easy to polish.

Jeff

digibloke

Wizard

Wizard

Post27 Jul 2006, 14:29

The lenses on my armitron and my intechron are so thin that they're actually a bit flexible when out of the case so I wouldn't want to polish them too much :wink:

I just had a look on ledwatches.net and you're right, most of the other designs do look to have more substantial lenses. Some of them also have the buttons at twenty to two. Wonder if these use a hughes module or if armitron also made one with this configuration?

I like 'em and was very tempted by the saturn you had for sale recently. Damn taxman.

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post29 Jul 2006, 07:20

Yeah, of course there are different models. The one I'm talking about is the one I was selling. The crystals on those are pretty tough.

Jeff

Return to All other LED watches