It is currently 01 May 2024, 19:12

Frontier module for the breitling 9106 (pics added)

• Author

767Geoff

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Frontier module for the breitling 9106 (pics added)

Post23 Sep 2012, 05:34

Hello all,

Looking for some help. I just purchased a Breitling 9106. The module is not working according to the owner. It looks pristine in the pictures and I will be attempting a repair as much as I am able.

Well Ole Joe was nice enough to supply a new module and a quartz crystal to help fix the original module. Wow, thanks Ole Joe!!!

Here are some pics cleaned up from the original listing and taken by the seller. I pulled the plug on this and purchased it for 800 dollars, blew my yearly budget but you never see these popping up on *bay.

It looks to be pristine. The case is in excellent shape and can be restored to original easily enough. The watch crystal appears scratch free. Hopefully it is armored plexiglass which lends itself to an easy restorative polish.

The case back looks perfect also:

The module and battery clip look to be in excellent shape. Hopefully the non functioning problem will be traced to oxidation on the battery contacts. A close look at the trimming capacitor shows some tiny green vertigre. Again, I hope by cleaning the module I can get it to work. Next step may be the quartz crystal replacement (fingers crossed Joe):

edited to remove questions and add pictures.

Cheers,

Geoff in Vancouver
Last edited by 767Geoff on 25 Sep 2012, 01:06, edited 2 times in total.

Ole Joe

Geek

Geek

Re: Frontier module for the breitling 9106

Post23 Sep 2012, 08:33

If the module in your Breitling 9106 is either a Frontier 2006 Chronograph (Stop Watch), or a 2007 Alarm Watch, I have New Old Stock of both modules. Please PM me if interested.

767Geoff

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post23 Sep 2012, 09:36

Hello Ole Joe

It is the same module you supplied Andrew in his Breitling 9106 restoration; the Frontier 2006 stopwatch module. I have pm'd you, once before your post and one as a reply to your post.

For everyone else the restoration will be documented and posted here.

Again, Joe, many thanks for offering the module! I accept!

Cheers, Geoff

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post23 Sep 2012, 15:24

Nice catch with the Breitling, it looks to be in really nice condition 8-) a real bargain at the price, it just needs a 22mm band adding.
I have a gut feeling that the original module is going to work fine with new batteries and cleaned up contacts.

767Geoff

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post23 Sep 2012, 17:45

:-D

I am hoping the same too! But we shall see, if it does work then it is nice having a spare module for it. I will be taking hi res pictures of the dial, that along with measurements and a template with the dial feet positions marked should help out Andrew (charger105) with his project.

I was lucky with a Pulsar 901 last week. It was advertised as keeping time but the calculator was totally dead. Case was perfect, the minor blemishes came out with a pot scrubber. I renewed the gasket, cleaned the case and then cleaned the keyboard under the plastic film. A little De-oxit gold on a fine paint brush to clean the film contacts as well as the keyboard circuit and BAM, a fully functional 901. Hopefully the Breitling will do the same!

I see a couple of cases for sale out there with high starting values. So, yes, it was a good deal since they hardly ever show up and the case is in perfect condition. Won't take much to make this look like it walked out of the factory yesterday! So m any thanks to Andrew for inspiring this restoration and Ole Joe for the replacement module.

I like the slide rule, I have a 1965 24hr. AOPA dialed Navitimer/Cosmonaute and the slide rule is great for time versus fuel remaining while in a hold as well as setting up exchange rates when away from home. So now it will be a difficult choice, one of HP01's or the Breitling 9106 for the flight deck.

767Geoff

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post23 Sep 2012, 17:53

Ole Joe,

You have a pm (two actually)!

Cheers and thanks, Geoff

767Geoff

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Re: Frontier module for the breitling 9106 (pics added)

Post04 Oct 2012, 17:42

Well an update.

I have a new module which arrived yesterday with a spare new old stock QC (thanks Ole Joe), which will be used to resurrect the original module (fingers crossed). I just secured an original bracelet from the period (thanks charger105 for pointing me in the correct direction) and of the correct style. For a folded link stainless steel (not solid) it sure was pricey but still in the range of Breitling accessories.

So everything is here to resurrect the watch to original factory condition, everything but the watch! Canada customs is treating it like the crown jewels! They still have it, five days in their hands. Who knows, maybe they are wearing it!

Oh well, here I sit with my Frontier module alarm Hamilton just so I can appreciate the large clear display and dream a little longer about the Breitling.

:-D

Meeg2000

Re: Frontier module for the breitling 9106 (pics added)

Post07 Jun 2013, 16:11

Hi Guys,

I am a new-by here and also looking for a Frontier 2006 Chronograph for my breitling.
Ole Joe do you still have one available?

Thanks.

Berry

Return to All other LED watches