Broken Gruen Strap

• Author

midomiko

Nerd

Nerd

Broken Gruen Strap

Post18 Aug 2013, 16:05

Hello All,

I've finally decided to register with NDWF after a long time lurking and admiring those groovy LED watches from my youth.

After a bit of saving up I bought myself a super NOS Gruen digital (1975??) which *was* in top condition. After a bit of a fall (not due to the beer I hasten to add) it's now in several pieces :cry: The watch, module and glass are thankfully undamaged and work fine, but the one of the bracelet ends has snapped out and the tiny lug has sheared off. I adore this stylish watch and it's cool brushed steel bracelet. All the watch repair places on the high street in stockholm have advised I just give up and buy a leather strap. :bang: Has anyone had any luck replacing these little buggers successfully? Any advice at all (other than "buy a new watch and don't be so clumsy next time") would be well received!

The bits:

1_gruen_watch_strap by vampsinthe, on Flickr

Before the fall:

2_watchbody by vampsinthe, on Flickr

midomiko

Nerd

Nerd

Re: Broken Gruen Strap

Post18 Aug 2013, 16:50

Actually, cancel the request for gracious assistance. I just spotted what appears to be the exact model of 70s NOS strap on ebay ( http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370490313905 ). It's apparently a 'Prospect' generic steel strap with the exact same 16mm bracelet ends / 19mm top lug. I'm so happy I bought it on the spot. Expect more glumness when it arrives and it's a milimetre too big ;-)

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post18 Aug 2013, 23:02

Pleased that a solution came along for you, I would still keep the old strap for a spare or for possible repair at a later date.

Welcome to the forum :-D

midomiko

Nerd

Nerd

Post22 Aug 2013, 01:20

Thanks for the welcome! I've taken a look at the innards of this a little closer and there are some generally odd details. I DO believe the case is NOS and damn fine it looks too. The embossed Gruen logo is beautiful, but would a watch of this vintage really have a generic strap? Also while changing the batteries I noticed the back (written inside) and battery clip are from a Wittnauer. Obviously Hughes module aside, methinks this 'boxed gem' may be a bit of a Frankenstein's monster.

midomiko

Nerd

Nerd

Post27 Aug 2013, 00:11

As I had the gut feeling, the strap was too big, both at the lug and the shoulder for my watch, so I am back to sqaure one. I got over excited just seeing what looked to the exact same style strap. It is almost certainly manufactured by Prospect, although clicking around I notice many other watch brands share that look (particularly Beltime and NOVUS).

Anyway if anyone has a steel strap with a 16mm straight lug, approx 19mm shoulder on some scrapper I would be more than happy to take it off your hands :(

Here's the original strap sporting busted lug on one end:

lug_old by vampsinthe, on Flickr

and here is my excellent purchase (below) which I will be returning to Timesofplenty, who I cannot fault in the speedy service and courteous communication...

watch_strap by vampsinthe, on Flickr

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post27 Aug 2013, 01:52

Could you use a bit a solder to hold it into position?

I repaired a Longines band using a bit of solder with acceptable results.......

It could of been made a lot neater but the repair is hardly noticeable when on the wrist.

midomiko

Nerd

Nerd

Post22 Mar 2018, 20:02

Just wondering if this is the longest restoration project concerning one watch. Necro-bumping my own thread from 2013, this is a quick update to say I not only managed to graft on a lug from a similar strap (by prizing open the tabs on the broken end), but I even managed to source an actual Gruen clasp with the matching "pulse" design featured on the glass. I'm a very happy chappy now.

Edit for a quick peek...
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bgjjzf5na8g/

Return to All other LED watches