It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:14

Help with identifying extra digit on a Bulova 254, please!

• Author

dodger1954

Geek

Geek

Help with identifying extra digit on a Bulova 254, please!

Post17 May 2019, 16:26

Hi gang,

Someone wrote me recently about a Bulova Computron sideview red LED watch he had acquired, and he was wondering about the function of an extra digit that his watch apparently has, which is to the right of the 'months' digits, and cycles from 1-thru-5, and back to 1, each time the months are advanced through the 12 months, and back to 1, again. Here's what he writes:

"Hello, I recently picked up a Computron N7 with a 254 module, and I have a question: in the month-setting function, there is a number to the RIGHT of the month (which is on the LEFT) that cycles "1-through-5", meaning, every time the month cycle hits "12" on the left and cycles back to "1", the number on the right increases by a single digit, until it hits "5" and then it goes back to "1". I don't think it's a leap-year indicator, because that would be a cycle of 4. Do you know what this function is? I've just been unable to find any official documentation, instructions or technical specs on the 254, to help me with this!"

I've had a few Bulova Computrons with the 254 module, but I don't recall that ANY of my watches had this extra digit...has anyone else seen this before, and can tell us what it is for?

Thanks,
Charles :-?

254.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

767Geoff

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Re: Help with identifying extra digit on a Bulova 254, pleas

Post17 May 2019, 19:45

Well, well,

I started typing before I read the complete posting! I have two of these and always thought, from memory, that it was a leap year setting where 4 = the leap year. That way the watch can keep track of February 29th leap year.

Now i have to dig the watches out, add batteries and see what mine do. I am thinking it is a leap year function and your friends is becoming geriatric (aging electronics and corrupted ROM).

I will get back to you on this. Also surprising is the lack of internet information on the caliber!

Geoff

767Geoff

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post17 May 2019, 20:09

Yes, i was correct, leap year function leading me to suspect that your module is suffering age related electronic failure.

Just to make sure, 5 pushes to get into set mode. When you get to month display cycle through twelve months to get the digit to turn over by one, cycle again for the next digit and so forth until you reach leap year 4 then it should start at one again as mine do.

Pull batteries and short the contacts with some tweezers then re-insert and set the watch again, does the error repeat?

In conclusion if the reset battery change short procedure does not rectify the error then the error is in the PCA. This may be due to age or faulty PCA from the factory.

As long as it keeps time who cares!

Geoff

dodger1954

Geek

Geek

Post19 May 2019, 18:28

Hi Geoff,

Thank you very much for your help!

I'll forward your responses to him (his name is Noah), and let him give it a shot with shorting the contacts to see if it still does that, with the counting up to 5, once the batteries are reinstalled.

But, I definitely agree with you, as long as it's working okay otherwise, and is keeping time as he says it does, then I think I'd just be happy with it, and leave it alone! :grin1:

Anyway, thanks again!

Charles ;-)

Return to All other LED watches