It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:15

Hewlett Packard HP-01 Missing LED Segment

• Author

coconutman351

Wizard

Wizard

Hewlett Packard HP-01 Missing LED Segment

Post07 Jun 2019, 09:58

Starting a new subject as I couldn't find an existing thread related to missing LED segments.

I just received my prized HP-01 on eBay at a great price. It's a gold filled model with the alligator strap. It came with the watch manual and stylus key. Upon doing my initial check I noticed one of my LED segments was missing (see photo). I've sent a note to the seller to try to resolve this. After that I'll attempt to carefully take apart the watch to see if any solder to the display module came apart. Would greatly appreciate it if you could share any experiences you may have with restoring the HP-01 display.

At least the missing segment is on the farthest right side of the display that has minimal impact to the display function.

thanks ALL
Robert
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Old Tom

Wizard

Wizard

Re: Hewlett Packard HP-01 Missing LED Segment

Post07 Jun 2019, 13:11

The failure is in the display itself- if it was the solder connections, as this is a multiplexed display, the same segment would be missing in all the digits. No cure other than to substitute the display (or live with it).

coconutman351

Wizard

Wizard

Post07 Jun 2019, 18:47

Thanks Old Tom, makes sense. Debating if I should return it and ask for a refund or just live with it.

Well at least the far right digit doesn't impact the time display only calculations. I'm assuming finding an HP-01 LED display assembly is rather rare I may just have to live with it as is! If anyone knows of a good source of replacement LED displays or have spares they are willing to part with let me know.

thanks all!
Robert

coconutman351

Wizard

Wizard

Post07 Jun 2019, 19:09

This must be a common issue with the HP-01 LED wire bonding as I've seen another post with the exact segment issue as mine. Anyone else having the same issue as well?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post07 Jun 2019, 21:53

I've had an HP-01, but never had any trouble with it. As far as repair goes, it depends on the construction of the display. If it's encapsulated (in epoxy) like most LED readouts, you're out of luck. But, if it's done like the Pulsar calculator, with open (un-encapsulated) wire bonds, it might just be possible to get in there with a probe needle and a speck of conductive epoxy, and re-establish the connection. I have done this a couple times (not a job for the faint-of-heart); it's incredibly easy to do additional damage that might be impossible to fix.

coconutman351

Wizard

Wizard

Post08 Jun 2019, 01:05

Thank Bruce, the good news is I've worked out a solution with the seller. I'm sending my watch back and he's going to swap the entire watch module with a fully working one. Great seller!

btw do you have extra GF HP-01 watch bands you'd like to part with, let me know!

thank you!
Robert

coconutman351

Wizard

Wizard

Post16 Jun 2019, 08:46

Happy to say I received the replacement module and LED and everything is working perfectly. Instead of attempting a GF restoration, I just cleaned the case a bit more and repainted the lettering on the keyboard.

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post16 Jun 2019, 09:12

I'm guessing the seller was ontrees, in Oregon. Seems like a reasonably fair guy...and a great source for hard-to-find HP-01 parts.

coconutman351

Wizard

Wizard

Post16 Jun 2019, 09:25

Yes, Bruce, VERY good seller. I originally had issues replacing the module and Eric helped me every step of the way. He had mentioned that he knew someone who used to work at the HP 01 factory and when the shop closed the extra parts were literally sent to the dumpster!

coconutman351

Wizard

Wizard

Post05 Aug 2019, 20:01

I managed to acquire a gold filled band on eBay in really good condition. One challenge is this section of the bracelet is missing the connecting link to the clasp assembly. See photo... any ideas how to secure a retention locking pin to this? or possibly make my own link to secure a locking pin so I can securely lock it to the clasp? I've also attached a pic of how the last link should look like to install a locking pin.

Return to All other LED watches