It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:09

Making a Brass HP-01 Stylus Key

• Author

coconutman351

Wizard

Wizard

Making a Brass HP-01 Stylus Key

Post27 Jan 2020, 08:24

Despite reading about how the HP-01 Stylus Key often gets lost I never believed it would happen to me. Well one day when wearing my HP-01 Gold filled watch I had that dreaded moment of looking at my band clasp only to find the stylus missing! I thought I could tolerate the missing stylus as I already had my pen stylus, however it was not "whole" without it. I gave up looking for it and purchased another one on eBay. Thinking about how it could happen again, I decided to keep my original stylus in safe keeping and make a brass replica for everyday use. If I do lose it it won't be as bad as loosing another genuine stylus. I documented my project and will be posing photos on how I fabricated it. Keep in mind I'm not a master metal sculpture so I used conventional tools like a belt sander, large file and smaller hobby files to fabricate it. Again my goal was to make a replica so that if I happen to loose it psychologically it would be fine. I still have to add the final resin stylus tip and I'll post it later.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by coconutman351 on 27 Jan 2020, 08:30, edited 1 time in total.

coconutman351

Wizard

Wizard

Re: Making a Brass HP-01 Stylus Key

Post27 Jan 2020, 08:29

2nd series of photos. Even though the stylus tip appears non-centered I'm going to file it down a bit more before I install the plastic nylon stylus tip cover. I just have to figure out what material I can use to cover the brass tip. Getting that precision beveled angle was challenging so you can see that it's still uneven.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

767Geoff

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post28 Jan 2020, 02:13

Nice job!

Just for the heck of it, there are replacement boards (pcb’s) and styluses for this if you don’t want to go to the work.

http://panamatik.de/html/hp-01_repair_kit.html

Cheers,

P.S. I have replaced two bad HP01 PCBs with Bernhard’s replacements.

coconutman351

Wizard

Wizard

Post28 Jan 2020, 10:07

Aloha Geoff, yes, I've seen and read the history of Bernhard engineering effort to reverse engineer the HP-01, simply amazing. It's good to know these modules are available for us collectors and we have options to keep our HP's alive. I have a spare original module just in case my module fails. Or if I could obtain a non-working stainless steel model on eBay I plan to use this spare module to make another watch. Thanks for the information on obtaining spare key stylus. What can I say? I had one of those "I can do this!" moments and started this project. Yes, it was hard work but it came out better than I expected. I'm keeping my genuine HP stylus in safe keeping in my watch box and plan to use it only for displays or photos. Also, thanks for all your contributions to this forum, I enjoy reading your posts.

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post30 Jan 2020, 21:13

superb job...i just love this stuff :Prost:
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

coconutman351

Wizard

Wizard

Post31 Jan 2020, 07:22

Thank you Kasper! I did have fun making it. Now all I need is some kind of nylon tip I can put over the tiny brass tip I formed.

767Geoff

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post31 Jan 2020, 22:26

When you find it I have three originals all missing tips, let us know!

I use Bernhard’s plastic ones when I use my HP at work.

Wonderful job!

Cheers, Geoff

I was thinking styrene rod from the local hobby shop of the correct OD. Shape the end by inserting in a drill or Drexel to a nice rounded cone. Then drill a tiny whole to receive the pointed end on the stylus (with epoxy of course). That would be on mine with the metal bit that holds the plastic stylus end in place.

Second idea is to drill a hole into the stylus to receive the shaped styrene pointer for yours.

coconutman351

Wizard

Wizard

Post01 Feb 2020, 02:27

Thank you Geoff, great ideas, sounds like another craft weekend! However, I will post more pictures of the stylus build as well as what I end up using for the stylus tip. You are a genius to have foresight to use a plastic stylus at work, loosing that original stylus was really painful and I learned the hard way! Acquiring a genuine HP stylus replacement was really important to me to know my HP-01 is whole again. I also have the alligator skin band as well so maybe I might make another for that. My goal is to start assembly parts to build another HP-01. So far I have a working original module (with a slight defect with a missing segment on the far right digit) and watchband. I should have bought some parts from Ontrees (Eric) when he had parts posted at a really good price.

Return to All other LED watches