It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:31

Deep restoration of vintage led modules Elektronica 1

• Author

Andrew Babanin

Techie

Techie

Deep restoration of vintage led modules Elektronica 1

Post13 Dec 2021, 01:05

I consider that it is still restoration, not new assembly becase of I use old plastic bases and ceramic hoods of IC's, Other components it is easier to replace on new ones of the same period, using factory technical info.
So there are four modules of first serial generation (beginning of 1976). All original ceramics are cracked, ICs not working, lens with fade, contacts are deformed, quartz resonators out of frequency.
I take new old stock ceramic plates, solder new capacitors, put on plastic bases with ready new old stock contacts, put working quartzes from 1980 and solder togeter.

Then I get new old stock ICs and glue them on ceramic plates.

Then using wire bonding machine connect ICs to the plates

All modules have good result - started and working properly. It is time to glue ceramic hoods and lens.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating...

Adam

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Re: Deep restoration of vintage led modules Elektronica 1

Post16 Dec 2021, 14:57

Again Andrew thank you for sharing. Just outstanding, Im always in awe of your work and the amazing photographs you share.

On a side note do you do repairs? I have a Heuer with damaged bonds.

regards

Adam
http://www.digital-watch.com - online database of 2000+ watches, manuals and adverts from the 70s-90s
http://www.vintagelcd.com - Vintage Digital Watches for sale

Andrew Babanin

Techie

Techie

Re: Deep restoration of vintage led modules Elektronica 1

Post17 Dec 2021, 01:18

Thanx a lot. I tried to restore all vintage timepieces that I have in my collection with positive result and even restored first commercial project - driver bulova led watch.

So if ICs are in working condition, not glued with compound, the bonds are accessible for bonding machine, then i see no problem for re-bonding all damaged connections. A year ago I started like Bruce Wegmann restoring wire bonds with silver epoxy. In practice only 1 of 10 timepieces started (USSR watches have not 99,9% gold plating contacts, so wire bonding is tricky, foreign modules are much more easy for wire bonding and even silver epoxy gluing). In June I've bought Westbond 7476E for my collection purposes. Result is approx 80% timepices are alive. If somebody finds good chips for desirable timepieces for collection it gets easy to make timepices working. A year ago I stored working timepieces in safe, for now I wear a few ones from time to time with no risk to damage.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating...

Return to All other LED watches