It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:55

Omega ChronoQuartz

Owners of VINTAGE DSM and LCD watches post their topics over here
  • Author
Colin G

Omega ChronoQuartz

Post02 Jan 2007, 06:28

Omega ChronoQuartz
Can anyone talk me through or show me instructions to taking the moule out of the case?
I've done the screws but the stem is trapped, I think I need to remove it or remove the crown?
Thanks, C.

Planet-LED

Techie

Techie

Re: Omega ChronoQuartz

Post02 Jan 2007, 19:57

What model of Omega do you have?

Colin G

Post02 Jan 2007, 21:19

Omega ChronoQuartz. Olympic games comemerative model.

Old Tom

Wizard

Wizard

Post03 Jan 2007, 00:17

Or to give it it's full title- Omega Chronoquartz 1 "Albatros" Calibre 1611. I think you are going to have to find the official service instructions for this watch as the stem has a combined mechanical crown and electrical centre button which I would be very wary of without the full instructions.

Colin G

Post03 Jan 2007, 00:23

There is no "1" or "Albatross" in the model name, this is a nickname and there is no Chrono Quartz 2
It has as you say a combined crown and uses the 1611 movement.

gjlelec

Wizard

Wizard

Post03 Jan 2007, 18:23

Hi Colin, Old Tom is correct, Albatros is the correct name (listed by Omega) for your watch caliber 1611, their first hybrid watch. Sorry can't help with the technical repair though :(

Colin G

Post03 Jan 2007, 18:53

Well I have the watch (actually 3 of them!) and 1 full set of instructions, these is no mention of "Albatross" anywhere.

gjlelec

Wizard

Wizard

Post03 Jan 2007, 20:16

ref ST 396.0839, caliber 1611, "albatros" (spelled with one "s"), chrono-quartz, created 1975, description by Omega

Colin G

Post03 Jan 2007, 20:46

So if the "albatros" with one "s" is in inverted commas then it is seen as a nickname? as is the "moonwatch"?

Colin G

Post03 Jan 2007, 20:49

I've just checked the Omega site and you are both correct, it is listed as 1611 albatros

gjlelec

Wizard

Wizard

Post03 Jan 2007, 22:43

It would be interesting to know why they named it Albatros, maybe something to do with golf ?? Anyone with any ideas ? you are fortunate to own three Col, i'm sure i recall seeing a gold version for sale recently, though that doesn't appear to be listed on the website, or did i dream it :?:

richard_uk

Guru

Guru

Post04 Jan 2007, 00:25

There is probably a little lever you need to push to pull the crown and stem out, it will be towards the edge of the module next to the stem somewhere, probably :D

Colin G

Post04 Jan 2007, 05:35

I have always known about the nickname, when I heard it it came from Italian collectors, I assumed it was because the watch is such a large awkward shape, not the prettiest.
I am quite surprised Omega have listed it without anyone really knowing the meaning.
Richard, I've looked for a screw or tiny button towards the edge of the movement next o the stem but cannot find one.

CompuChron2

Techie

Techie

Post04 Jan 2007, 14:31

Don't you think that the shape of the battery clip looks like an albatros?
The eye of the master,
Does more than bote his hands.

L'oeil du ma?tre
Fait mieux que ses deux mains.

CompuChron2

Techie

Techie

Post04 Jan 2007, 14:34

for comparison:
The eye of the master,
Does more than bote his hands.

L'oeil du ma?tre
Fait mieux que ses deux mains.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post04 Jan 2007, 15:40

You'll have to remove the black cap(X) to lift the engagement arm(pink) out of the way, is my thought. Your milage may vary.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

Old Tom

Wizard

Wizard

Post04 Jan 2007, 20:29

What that Omega photo doesn't show is that the black cap Little1up has marked with an X is actually a flatpack 10 pin oscillator/motor driver chip soldered to the circuit board- do not try to lever it up under any circumstances. The pink clip is a spring pass through to the setting mechanism in the heart of the movement. I can see none of the usual stem retention devices (screw, pin, moving lever) on my two examples of this watch, one of which has a grey speck on the analog dial which I would dearly love to remove. I have wondered whether it might use a similar method to early Seikos which have a Y shaped yoke the stem has to be angled into. Perhaps we should just ask Omega!- They do seem a whole lot more interested in their early history than they were and might well part with this sort of information.

Gino

re: Omega ChronoQuartz

Post16 Feb 2007, 16:57

I have taken out the module from my Chrono-Quartz a couple of times now. If you look carefully down between the module and the case side just under the stem, you will see a small tab just protruding from the movement (the mechanical gear train/motion work is embedded in the plastic moulding under the PCB). If you push gently down on this using some sort of thin flat blade, you can then pull out the stem.

I found this out by trial and error so no guarantees, but it works for me.

Good luck .

Old Tom

Wizard

Wizard

Post21 Feb 2007, 22:42

Thanks for that- I have obtained the service instructions for this watch and all they say is "remove the stem by pressing on the lever" without any diagrams as to where it is! They also say the stem should be removed with the crown pulled out to the setting position. Finally, that speck's days are numbered!

Colin G

Post24 Feb 2007, 21:30

There is a Chrono Quartz in the Omegamania auction and the watch is described as having the "albatros" movement so the idea of the name coming from the battery clamp sounds valid.

Colin G

Post09 May 2007, 22:08

I've just swopped the modules on my 2 Chrono-Quartz...many thanks to the forum and paticularly the contributors to this thread.

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post12 Feb 2013, 20:04

just in case anybody would be curious how the Omega 1611 Chrono-Quartz can be fixed, here is my recent addition to the website:
http://www.crazywatches.pl/omega-1611-c ... atros-1975
"The first and still only LED watch maniac in the East Block" - www.crazywatches.pl
Next

Return to Vintage DSM and LCD Watches