Please Help! Quest to find my first LED watch

Put wanted items here, please.
  • Author

Led-Time

Guru

Guru

: Please Help! Quest to find my first LED watch

Post28 Sep 2007, 18:55

This is a great little tool to have in your LED module repair kit -http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fibre-Glass-Tipped-Scratch-Fine-Abrasive-Pen-4mm_W0QQitemZ150165453655QQihZ005QQcategoryZ125452QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem - I use one to remove metal oxide from the battery and button contacts leaving them looking like new... :-)

Planet-LED

Techie

Techie

Post28 Sep 2007, 20:25

You can have bad contact between the batteries and the module, but you can also have bad contact between the batteries and the case back. To correct this problem, you have to bend the contact points of the bow tie so that they make firmer contact with the batteries. You have to be careful when doing this because you can pull the bow tie off from the case back if you aren't careful. To avoid that problem, pinch down on the middle of the bow tie and then bend the prongs upward so that they are closer to the batteries. They do not have to be bent a great deal, just a little. When this connection is bad, the module will keep resetting back to 1:00 any time the watch is jarred.
Steve Kamerad

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post28 Sep 2007, 21:25

Planet-LEd: This doesn't apply to most TIs - they don't use the caseback as part of the circuit. Instead, the battery clip and the contacts pushed by the buttons(plastic in many cases) are all of the same piece of metal.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

Planet-LED

Techie

Techie

Post28 Sep 2007, 22:40

Oops, I was thinking in Pulsar mode. My mistake.
Steve Kamerad

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Re: : Please Help! Quest to find my first LED watch

Post28 Sep 2007, 23:02

Planet-LED wrote:Oops, I was thinking in Pulsar mode. My mistake.
I knew that Steve, cause I know you. Just had to jerk your chain. :lol: Could have been worse, we could have been talking Gillettes - they have a battery clip that is part of same metal that touches command button contacts, but the battery clip also touches the case back as, a backup? :-?
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

Planet-LED

Techie

Techie

Post29 Sep 2007, 00:13

Ed,

I had one of those Gillette watches once, but had to get rid of it because I could never get a decent shave with it. The shaving cream kept getting into the pushers, etc--what a mess.
Steve Kamerad

TI Quest

Post30 Sep 2007, 20:50

Thank you for everybody's advice and assistance in this area. I will purchase a fibre glass abrasive pen to help clean up the battery contacts, as recommended. The watch is still working fine, so WD40 is certainly a good short-term fix.
Best Regards, Steve :-D

TheFordGuy

Geek

Geek

Post02 Oct 2007, 00:18

Planet-LED wrote:
I had one of those Gillette watches once, but had to get rid of it because I could never get a decent shave with it. The shaving cream kept getting into the pushers, etc--what a mess.
ROTFL! Too funny! :lol:

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post02 Oct 2007, 01:08

TI Quest wrote:... The watch is still working fine, so WD40 is certainly a good short-term fix...
Good to hear your watch is working now, but I rather wouldn't use WD40 in a watch - it could creep anywhere in there... The abrasive pen is a very good idea.

@Planet-LED M:)W:)M
Previous

Return to Watches and Parts Needed