It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:48

Wittnauer Or Jaeger LeCoultre?

• Author

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Wittnauer Or Jaeger LeCoultre?

Post28 Sep 2011, 16:26

I have this watch to sell, I thought it was a Wittnauer but looking at the case back it has a 'J' stamped on it, does this mean it is a JLC?
It has a replacement band so no clue there.

abem

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

: Wittnauer Or Jaeger LeCoultre?

Post28 Sep 2011, 18:46

I have this watch too and I noticed the same J. It's not in the same font as the JLC logo so I think it refers to the case maker, whoever that was.

I think there are two ways to tell the difference: (1) see if the crystal has ever been signed. Wittnauer used an unsigned crystal. (2) the JLC case has no lugs.

-abe.

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post28 Sep 2011, 19:04

The name stamp on the crystal would obviously be a dead give away but there is no longer any trace of it, I have another JLC which is also missing the name on the crystal but it's easy to identify as a JLC from the logo on clasp of the integrated bracelet.

http://www.dwf.nu/Gallery/displayimage. ... play_media

Another thing that made me wonder if it's a JLC is the serial number of both watches begins with the letter A?

abem

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post28 Sep 2011, 19:17

Mick,

The J symbol is definitely a case maker's mark, similar to the star on Pulsar cases from the Star Watch Case company.

Here's an example of the same symbol on a Bulova:

The case maker could be Jackay Case Co. or perhaps Jurgensen (as in Jules Jurgensen), I'm not sure.

-abe.
Last edited by abem on 28 Sep 2011, 19:37, edited 1 time in total.

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post28 Sep 2011, 19:25

Thanks Abe,
So none of the JLC ones have lugs?
-Mick ;-)

abem

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post28 Sep 2011, 19:35

Mick,

I really don't know what the deal is with the lugs verses no lugs versions. I've never seen a JLC with lugs but I haven't seen enough examples to form any conclusions. This watch is a bit of a mystery.

-abe.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post28 Sep 2011, 19:59

I believe I have a definitive answer. But first on the lugs vs. no lug issue - there is no issue: the leather banded ones had exposed lugs, as you show, the metalbanded ones have the single solid "Tabbed lug". You see the same issue with Witt. "Doctor" models, amoungst others.

I've mentioned this before, since I have actually had the opportunity to try this - I had a great JC glass in a nasty case, and a great Witt with a nasty glass. Oh my, would that be the same if swapped? Oh no - the glass isn't the same. The Witt. glass is dead on 25mm(edited) from lower corner to lower corner. The JCs are 24.5mm over the same. When it comes to glass fit, that is "off by a mile". JC glass would float in a Witt., Witt glass would have to be ground down along both sides to fit in. Obviously, grinding only one side to accomplish the fit would pull the top radius offcenter, making it fit tight at one point, and even a worst fit along the rest. :x :x

Here is a picture of JC and Witt, both leather banded in this case, surrounded by some other pretties I have recently photographed for putting up on my site.
:idea: The Helbros Dual has been fitted with a solid Sapphire crystal. I thought it worth the $20. :o

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I totally agree that the J is just a case maker's mark.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post28 Sep 2011, 21:12

For the definite answer I shall measure the crystal, thanks for the info.

Nice collection of watches Ed, especially like the Helbros dual.

dot matrix

Digital Guy <br>(Forum Founder)

Digital Guy <br>(Forum Founder)

Re: : Wittnauer Or Jaeger LeCoultre?

Post29 Sep 2011, 03:48

bucko170 wrote:Nice collection of watches Ed, especially like the Helbros dual.

Very nice indeed. What's the Omega in the upper right corner?

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post29 Sep 2011, 08:59

dot matrix wrote:
bucko170 wrote:Very nice indeed. What's the Omega in the upper right corner?
That's a MemoMaster - case is minty+, the glass is brand new(I installed). That is only about 1/4 of what I photographed this time around, my problem has been finding time to crop photos and post them up. Actually, the Jaz at upper left is the most unusual piece - very strange lug design I've never seen. It's this one, in goldplate.http://www.ledwatches.net/photo-pages/jaz.htm

Oh, the Witt. case doesn't have the "J" on the back of it. For what it is worth.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

Huertecilla

Wizard

Wizard

Post29 Sep 2011, 21:26

retroleds wrote:Actually, the Jaz at upper left is the most unusual piece - very strange lug design I've never seen.

...and the lug is one of the least strange unique ways to do things they came up with.
´Design oder nicht sein´

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post30 Sep 2011, 15:43

Huertecilla wrote:
retroleds wrote:Actually, the Jaz at upper left is the most unusual piece - very strange lug design I've never seen.

...and the lug is one of the least strange unique ways to do things they came up with.
It is - the button contacts, the layout of the circuit, the display attachment, bonding, mounting. Really a shame that several times as many more Jaz/Mido pieces weren't made - they really were excellent quality. With the exception of total battery leakage "Events", they surpass any Pulsar/Hamilton/Omega product on shear endurance - imho. Excellent cases; albeit, solid stainless was rarely employed -snap!

Andy_from_Perth

Techie

Techie

Post01 Oct 2011, 03:23

yeah, awesome collecton there Ed.

i really like the qed's, whats the qed version on the left?

cheers
ss Ventura V-Tech DELTA
ss Seiko sbpg

Ade51

Wizard

Wizard

Re: Wittnauer Or Jaeger LeCoultre?

Post25 May 2012, 19:03

Hi Mick,

Did you work out if yours was a JLC or not as I feel that I may be in the same position.

Ade

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post25 May 2012, 19:58

After reading the above posts I came to the conclusion that it was a Wittnauer.

I have had a couple of these since and noticed that with some you can still make out the shadow of the logo on the crystal at certain angles and light conditions so it might be worth checking to see if any trace remains.

Ade51

Wizard

Wizard

Post27 May 2012, 11:21

Thanks Mick,

I've had my magnifying glass out but the glass is totally clean.

I'll start a new thread about it and post pictures.

Return to All other LED watches