It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:08

Wittnauer Or Jaeger LeCoultre revisited

• Author

Ade51

Wizard

Wizard

Wittnauer Or Jaeger LeCoultre revisited

Post27 May 2012, 11:36

Hi I bought a Longines Wittnauer LED some months back which is in a lovely condition (thanks Abe) and came with a very nice Longines strap. There are more picures on Abes site at
http://www.timetrafficker.com/watches/l ... tml?page=2

Longine Wittnauer1.jpg

However i wanted it to look more like the original in the picture below

Longine Wittnauer ad2.jpg

Initially I just found any type of mesh strap and a suitable vintage Longines box as below

Longines JLC2.jpg

But that didn't get close enough to the original for me so i carried out some research and found that Kestenmade provided some of the straps for Longines in the late 70s so that narrowed my search and I managed to find a strap on Ebay, 110878291966, in excellent condition. It also has the Longines crest on the buckle.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Ade51 on 27 May 2012, 12:15, edited 2 times in total.

Ade51

Wizard

Wizard

Re: Wittnauer Or Jaeger LeCoultre revisited

Post27 May 2012, 11:58

The pictures do not do the watch justice - it looks far better on the wrist and looks very close to the JLC version.

Longines W JLC1small.jpg
Longines W JLC2small.jpg

That satisfied my need to be close to the original. I assumed that Longines Wittnauer did the model with the lugs and Jaeger LeCoultre with integrated metal strap but when you look at the Wittnauer advert it is clear that they also did the integrated strap so that got me wondering if Jaeger also did one with the lugs. My research found two interesting bits of information which now makes me wonder if mine is a JLC after all. Firstly this site at http://jlc.watchprosite.com/?show=forum ... 618246&s=0 about the JLC and its Wittnauer variation. I didn’t notice a post towards the end until Thursday stating that the JLC’s have serial numbers starting with an A and 5 digits – mine has this!

Second information was a thread by Mick on DWF last year where he was wondering whether his was a JLC - viewtopic.php?f=82&t=4796
Ed commented that the glass width at the bottom for JLCs was 24.5mm and 25mm for Wittnauers. According to my digital callipers the width of the glass of mine is 24.5mm so does this definately make mine a JLC. I've looked under a a magifyiong glass but unfortunately nothing remains of the old logo

Ed also commented that JLC did have lug versions for leather straps and posted a picture of what he has to sell.

Does anyone have any more information and pictures of their own JLCs with the lugs and original leather strap (Ed would you be able to post more pictures of yours if you still have it) and vice versa a Wittnauer with the integrated metal strap?

The picure below is the only one that could be a JLC with lugs I can find on the internet.

JLClugs.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Ade51 on 27 May 2012, 12:27, edited 2 times in total.

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post27 May 2012, 12:16

why is the left button on the picture of the wittnauer so close to the lugs and yours not?
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

Ade51

Wizard

Wizard

Post27 May 2012, 12:22

Well spotted Kasper - perhaps the Wittnauer advert picture is of prototypes as none of them have logos on either. Does anyone know the answer to this?

LED

Geek

Geek

Post03 Jun 2012, 12:56

I have a JLC with lugs too 8-)
A picture is on my website showing it with a strange colour non original strap though. A dark green strap fits it well for my taste and I like it better than the mesh bracelett version which makes the watch somewhat "blingbling" dominating the extraordinary nice case design.

Ade51

Wizard

Wizard

Post03 Jun 2012, 16:08

Thanks Juergen,

Yes that is an unusual strap colour. Any idea what the original watch strap would have looked like at production?

Does anyone have a picture or even better have the Wittnauer version with the integrated bracelet?

Adam

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post03 Sep 2019, 15:46

To add to this discussion a few years down the line. This wittnauer just arrived. It came on a JLC clasped band. After reading other comments about the crystal I thought I'd better check. My Wittnauer branded crystal measures 24.5. I've also read that JLC sent their watches to Wittnauer in the states to be put together. I don't know why mine has a Wittnauer logo and JLC strap but I think it would just make sense they were just the same watch branded to either company. Even if mine were a JLC with a Wittnauer replacement crystal that would make even more sense.

Really not sure what to do about the awful finish on mine I think someone went at it with some 40 grade sandpaper.

DSC_9609.jpg
http://www.digital-watch.com - online database of 2000+ watches, manuals and adverts from the 70s-90s
http://www.vintagelcd.com - Vintage Digital Watches for sale

Return to All other LED watches