• Author

laptop

Techie

Techie

Need help with my "NEW" HP-01

Post01 Feb 2013, 07:05

Hi guys,

I just got today my "new" HP-01. :-D
As soon as I opened the box, I got more than happy because it is in mint condition. Everything included (all the all the whistles and bells) lol lol
Unfortunately, as soon as I opened the watch I noticed that old batteries had leaked inside. :eek:
I read online on how to open and I did. I also cleaned all the acid and dirt that I could with a cotton swab. (any suggestion about a better way to clean it such as using any special cleaning solution, etc etc)???
But now I would like to try to see if it is going to work before i put everything back together.
Could anybody give me a hand in how to proceed from here forward, as far as testing it before closing. :lol:
I would greatly appreciate any help.
Here is a picture of "The Sleeping Beauty" lol lol lol (positive thinking and good way to see this scene) :-D
HP-01.jpg

Thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The impossible is only a point of view!

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Re: Need help with my "NEW" HP-01

Post04 Feb 2013, 19:44

I think member 'azimuth_pl' would be a good choice to contact for further advice, he has one stripped on his web-site so should be able to offer good advice..... http://www.crazywatches.pl/hewlett-pack ... lator-1977

The watch looks to be in really nice condition - good luck with the rebuild 8-)

laptop

Techie

Techie

Post05 Feb 2013, 03:48

Hi Bucko,
Oh yeahhh, his website is a great source of information. I have used it many times and i still use it on the daily basis :)
I really would appreciate if "azimuth" or somebodyelse could help me with some tip to test this module before i have to reassemble the whole watch.
Thank you Bucko for the heads up.
Btw, i ask for a carpinter friend to help me on my watch display/storage, jejeheje.
As soon as i have it ready i will organize my collection and post pictures of it.
Thanks again :)

767Geoff

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post05 Feb 2013, 09:48

I have done about five of these and the only way to test it is to reassemble it. The piezo buzzer is in the case back and must be in place for it to work. There is also a rest switch which can be used only with the battery module in place.

Yes you could rig contacts to the upper two display drivers (3v) and a separate circuit of 1.5 volts to the CPU battery. But why not assemble and test. It takes longer but all contacts are completed correctly and the module is protected from shorts and etc.

When reassembling make sure the battery module does not rotate. It has a locking tab but is made of soft plastic and does not always hold position. If it shifts it WILL shear the crystal legs, battery tabs and trimming cap.

Also pay particular attention to the trimming cap. They can develop stress cracks from a shifting battery module.

You should invest in a small tube of DeOxit gold. Use a fine paint brush to apply a spare amount of it to traces and contacts. Do this after a cleaning with the alcohol. The circuit is robust but the Achilles heal is the contact tubes that run through the porcelain plates. Think of a sandwich consisting of two porcelain plates turned upside down and containing the IC's. tunnels are drilled through the porcelain and gold wires connect the surface traces and electronics to the IC's. if a tunnel wire dissolves from battery residue or outgassing you are Toast.

By the way, I am writing a book on HP calculator families from 1972 to 2005 (500 pages and over 200 photos steps for restorations). Chapter six is the cricket. Cricket is HP's code name for the HP 01. The chapter includes disassembly, restoration techniques and reassembly.

On another note, HP destroyed all the software and specs used to build the watch and program the ROMS. all is not lost though. I have sent a bad circuit board to a friend in the US who has decapitated the IC's and is currently reconstructing the rom code. This is to develop new HP 02 with LCD that emulates the HP 01. That is for the future though.

Cheers, Geoff

767Geoff

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post05 Feb 2013, 10:00

And another thing. The rubber backing holding the keys in place is flexible. I place packing inside the module pressing the rubber into the keys. This way the keys do not shift in there square holders, which are hidden under the rubber. Once a key shifts it is a b;:/))) to get it back in place!

Here are some draft pictures and descriptions.

Cheers, geoff

laptop

Techie

Techie

Post06 Feb 2013, 04:40

Hi Geoff,
Thank you very much for ALL the information, it is always very welcome (knowledge, knowledge, knowledge).
I will follow your advise and I will reassemble the watch to see the condition.
My biggest fear is, if after I reassemble it, doesn't work :eek:
I'm going to buy now (on-line) the DeOxit Gold.
Your book will be very welcome for the collector, because as far as I know, there is just a couple books out there dedicated to LED watches.
As soon as I finish with the HP I will let you know the outcome.
Thank you again for your help and kindness sharing detailed description and great pictures.

laptop

Techie

Techie

Post11 Feb 2013, 06:58

Thank you Geoff, Azimuth (crazywatches site) and Bucko for the support and help on this "adventure".
The only thing that bothered me a bit is NOBODY TOLD ME THAT ASSEMBLING IT IS LOT HARD THAN DISASSEMBLING!!!! !@@!
After a few tears and sweat, tahh dahhhhh!!!! :-D It is up and running :Hi:
For sure i would like to send it to be tune-up by somebody that knows it for real, because for now, what I did is just to make it work, but all the three hundred and forty five rings (at least this is how is felt like working with) that hold the module in place inside needs to be properly tighten.
But for now, IM MORE THAN HAPPY!!!! :-P
Thank you again for all of you that gave me guidance and many tips :Prost:
My new (old) HP-01 thank you all!!!!!
HP 01-B.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

laptop

Techie

Techie

Post11 Feb 2013, 06:59

Here is a Close-Up
HP 01-A.JPG

laptop

Techie

Techie

Post15 Feb 2013, 05:16

Hi guys,
Another lucky shot :ha:
I just received this watch yesterday, put new batteries and voilĂ !!!!
It just needs a overhauling :scratch:
Does anybody knows who could offer repairs and restoration for some LED watches here in the US?
Here is my new baby boy :pimp:
HP-01 GOLD LowRes.jpg

Return to All other LED watches