Omega f300 Seamaster

For Stone Age Men (and Women) and their Toys
  • Author

Phasar66

Wizard

Wizard

Omega f300 Seamaster

Post03 Aug 2013, 06:11

I remember visiting Peter's site at Crazywatches and reading about tuning forks and being intrigue by this early technology .
soon after got my hands on a nice Accutron 218 but what I really wanted was the spaceview, men they are expensive, way out of my budget.
The Bulova was nice and after doing my homework I learned how they work and tuned myself to within 1 second a day, some days lost no time a all.
but sadly didn't see much time on my wrist, it was good looking but way to small, I decide to sell it to get something else. One day browsing at this watch store on a corner was this Omega I ask the price, 450 dollars said the owner, way to much, let me see it working, He put a battery on it and it start humming. I returned 2 months later and the watch was still working and lost only 1 minute all this time, that was a good sign. I offer 300, guys I'm the proud owner of this beauty and good time keeper.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

vpn

Wizard

Wizard

Re: Omega f300 Seamaster

Post03 Aug 2013, 10:55

Nice, really nice catch Phasar! Tuning fork watches are incredibly fascinating on the technical side. Their humming noise is wonderful to hear. You've got a great bargain at that price. I recently bought a Bulova Accuquartz on fleabay at an incredibly low price (51 euros) and I understand the reason why so many vintage watches collectors told me in the past that I should've bought a tuning fork watch. :mega:

EDIT: Here's my Accuquartz. ;-)

Last edited by vpn on 03 Aug 2013, 14:41, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post03 Aug 2013, 11:28

Very Nice :mega:

I have been wanting a tuning fork watch for ages, I feel as if I am missing out with not hearing that hum.

abem

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post03 Aug 2013, 17:44

Nice Omega cone watch. I can't resist watches with blue dials and this one is particularly lovely. Sometimes, these had a tendency to deteriorate with time but your is gorgeous. Excellent find.

From a manufacturing point of view, these movements are as amazing as anything produced today. The tuning fork hum is pleasant also. The 9162 movements have an especially nice hum because of the lower frequency and because the indexing mechanism is quieter than the Accutron series.

Bruce makes a good point that these later 1974-1977 model Accutron / Accuquartz models can be found quite inexpensively. The 214 and spaceview models are the most sought after but I kind of prefer the more modern looking and colorful mid 70's Accutrons. The one below is one of my favorites - the dial reminds me of the dashboard instruments of a 70's era station wagon:
http://www.timetrafficker.com/watches/t ... index.html

-abe.

Phasar66

Wizard

Wizard

Post04 Aug 2013, 02:32

Thanks Guys. The Seamaster is still glue to my wrist, is such a wearable piece. Talking to Peter one day He warn me of the dials being prone to bubbling but I had to say that mine is perfect, there is no corrosion anywhere, the hands, markers, lettering all is nice, even the hand still glow in the dark. The sunburst on the cone is still there. i learned that this is one of the early models with the crown at 2 O'clock and the case-back is the plain one. I wish it had the signed one but I guess I'll be asking for too much. Abem, that accutron is very nice with a super cool blue dial, good taste!!
Here are some more pictures. Mick, you need to get a least one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post04 Aug 2013, 15:43

I couldn't resist this one.....

It's not an Omega, it's not got the M7 date code that I wanted nor is it a spaceview but it hums and the price was right. :-)

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post07 Aug 2013, 13:00

hmmmm...we want more...moooorrreee pictures..luv them all. :-D
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

dutchsiberia

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post08 Aug 2013, 21:40

These "hummers" are very addictive :)

This one has the same "engine" as your seamaster.

this one also :)

And some nice accutrons...

i did mention they are addictive :mrgreen:

Phasar66

Wizard

Wizard

Post09 Aug 2013, 07:59

Nice fleet of "HUMMERS" I like the Speemaster and the Astronaut, I still have an itch for the Accutron though.

charger105

Guru

Guru

Post06 Sep 2013, 14:45

After reading a few threads on here about these tuning fork watches, I decided I had to have one.
More watches !! :bang:

Anyway, I decided a while ago that I like the classic 70s styling of the Omega cone-style F300 Seamasters (just like yours Phasar). I stumbled across one on Ebay with a few minutes remaining, and threw a bid on. To my great surprise I won it :mega:

Here are some pictures:
It arrived yesterday, and seems to work very well. I really like the sweeping seconds hand. I also prefer the 2-o'clock stem postion to the later 3-o'clock version. It's probably my poor hearing, but I can only hear it hum when pressed against my ear. I can't notice anything at other times.
As you can see, the glass needs replacing, but apart from that it's in very presentable condition as far as I'm concerned.
I'm going to replace the glass soon.........it's already ordered.

I found an excellent post on how these movements work. It's an excellent read. I know next to nothing about non-digital watches, and even I can understand it, so have a look if your interested in these watches:
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f45/inside ... 98152.html

Rgds.

Phasar66

Wizard

Wizard

Post07 Sep 2013, 01:41

I just put My Cone back on my wrist. there is no shame falling for a watch like this. I think this is my favorite Omega of all, it has everything a 70s watch lover will ever want, It got the looks others will envy but the real jewel is under the hood, the pinnacle of the tuning fork movements, so fine and precise that it got Chronometer certification something Bulova never got. I consider myself lucky getting my hands on this one, later I found out that I really got a good deal. For the Price you paid is worth putting some $ on it get a new crystal and wear it you will love how good it rides on your wrist. Cheers. I couldn't resist, I never mention that mine came with display box.

Timecollector

Techie

Techie

Post07 Sep 2013, 03:00

I love the Accutrons also. I have about 1/2 dozen and my favorite in my collection is my original family owned M2 1962 B case Turtle Lug Yellow Dot Spaceview. Passed down to me from my Grandfather. It has the Coffin Link Bracelet on it also.

Timecollector

Techie

Techie

Post07 Sep 2013, 03:46

I want but don't own any Omega's "yet" . These are my other accutrons. And I have two still in transit from overseas.

M3 214 Spaceview/w KreislerCoffin Link Band, the crystal and hands are probably not original but very clean and quite accurate. It came from Bulgaria.

N2 218 Railroad/w JB Champion two tone Bracelet. Also from Bulgaria.

M5 214 RailRoad

M5 Goldfilled Spaceview.

N0 218-2 Accutron with Kreisler Gold Band

Phasar66

Wizard

Wizard

Post07 Sep 2013, 08:48

Spaceviews are lovely and so are the Astronauts which is next on my wish list, although I find the Railroad approved one very nice is quite to small for me to wear, not that Spaceview is big but I find it irresistible.

Timecollector

Techie

Techie

Post07 Sep 2013, 15:24

The Railroads & Spaceviews are a small case but comfortable. The astronaut's are larger and thicker and are very desirable. I watch them all the time on the bay but haven't seen one that made me pull the trigger. If they are not running or haven't been serviced by a accutron pro, they can become a pain. Been there done that. I would also like to have an Omega Speedmaster.

charger105

Guru

Guru

Post09 Sep 2013, 09:53

I am preparing to replace the crystal on my F300, and obviously have to remove the movement to do so.
I've been reading on the net that you should remove the oscillator module before removing the module from the case. This prevents accidental knocking of the seconds hand damaging the index wheel.
See here:
http://www.amw.at/Accutron/acctechesa.htm

Has anyone doen this before ? The way I see it, there must be some sort of "mechanical" connection between the two modules, to transfer the rotation from the oscillator module to the mechanism module. Does anyone know how this works ? Are there cogs or something that have to be lined up when re-installing the oscillator module ?
The online descriptions seem to indicate it's a very simple thing to do. I just want to make sure cogs and springs don't go flying everywhere once I lift the oscillator module.

Rgds,
Andrew.

dutchsiberia

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post10 Sep 2013, 10:30

It's relatively easy, one gear "sticks out". Remove the screws and the battery strap. Usually the module just falls out of the case if you turn it upside down. Reinserting can be a bit fiddly because that gear can move about a bit. Be absolutely certain that the module fits perfectly, when movement is still possible, the gear is not in it's correct place yet. Gently pressing on the module while pulling, turning and pushing the crown can help. It might be necessary to insert the module multiple times before the fit is perfect.
In my experience, it's quite difficult to damage the index wheel while it's safe in it's place in the oscillator module. So you might risk just letting the module in place. Don't move the seconds hand counter clockwise though.

oscillator module from my speedsonic. (same as esa 9162/ F300)
You can see the little axle sticking out if you look roughly between the tuning fork and the battery contact.

here you can see another module, and the "regular" gear on the left, the longer Omega speedsonic gear on the right.

And type in google "esa 9162 pdf" very handy :)

charger105

Guru

Guru

Post17 Sep 2013, 09:12

Thank you dutchsiberia. Some very helpful advice.
In the end I did remove the oscillator module. Simple to remove, and simple to re-install :-D .
I was a bit concerned when I turned the watch upside down (after removing the stem), and a little cog fell out :oops:
It's always a bad sign when something falls out of a watch and you don't know where it goes !
This little cog thing becomes free after the stem is removed, but it's fairly obvious where it goes. In the end it all went back together fairly easily. It was very satisfying when I put the battery back in and away it went !
Here's the final result (sorry for the terrible photo):

Rgds,
Andrew.

dutchsiberia

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post17 Sep 2013, 23:18

nice work!

Phasar66

Wizard

Wizard

Post18 Sep 2013, 05:27

Looks nice with the new crystal, I don't know if I will attempt something like, this looks scary. Supposedly the movement was design that way for easy maintenance so I guess there is no harm, kind of like separating the engine from the transmission on an automobile right. Is this the only way to take the movement off the case?
How is the date function working on yours. I hear that's the weak point on this movements because is made out of plastic and gets brittle over time and teeth on wheel braked off. Mine is keeping amazingly good time, less than 1/2 a second a day but the date is acting up some days it doesn't change and it happen in not particular day, maybe the wheel is worn out or is in needs cleaning and lube on the date mechanism, I'm just guessing.
Cheers.

charger105

Guru

Guru

Post20 Sep 2013, 10:05

Hi Phasar66.
Mine is keeping excellent time too. It's getting some serious wrist time at the moment.
Haven't had any problems with the date yet, but haven't had it running a full month. I've also read that this is a weak point on these watches. The date wheel is plastic and the teeth get chipped, and from what I've read are now almost un-obtainable. If ours need to be replaced, I believe it will be particularly problematic.........with the stem at 2, the numbers need to be in-between the teeth on the date-wheel.
It can't be that hard to make one could it ? I would've thought some clever person out there would be reproducing them.

As dutchsiberia mentioned above, it's not essential to remove the oscillator module, in order to remove the module. It's just a bit safer to do so. On the plus side, if you leave it in place, the stem cog can't fall out.

I'd be tempted to just live with the date wheel issue you have. If you ever come across a new one, then good-oh, but until then, just enjoy watching that seconds hand sweep around the dial :mega:
Rgds.

dutchsiberia

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post21 Sep 2013, 18:18

Or get a donor with working date. I've got a esa 9164 set for a 3 'o clock crown, I was hoping the day wheel would be the same as the day wheel of my speedsonic. (no :-( )

Next

Return to Non - Digitals with Hands