It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:19

More than a step in the right direction maybe.

Discussion on MODERN LED, LCD, OLED and E-INK watches
  • Author

jagmad

Guru

Guru

More than a step in the right direction maybe.

Post07 Jan 2014, 00:17

Perhaps?
The biggest kickstarter project goes S/Steel. :scratch:
https://getpebble.com/?utm_campaign=mee ... erm=010614

Always was an odd ball so
Mick if you feel this post isn't in the right place please feel free to move it. :lol:

Oh and a very belated
Nappy Dew Beer bevery oddy Hic! :Prost:
BURP..
"I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member" Julius Henry Marx

"If necessity is the mother of invention, then mother is now standing at the door calling us in to do our home work"

IF YOUR MOBILE PHONE OR SMART WATCH DOESN'T NEED CHARGING AT LEAST EVERY WEEK YOU EITHER...
A. HAVE NO LIFE/FRIENDS. OR NEED FOR ONE.
B. YOU NEED TO SWITCH IT ON.

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Re: More than a step in the right direction maybe.

Post07 Jan 2014, 08:20

jagmad wrote:.....Mick if you feel this post isn't in the right place please feel free to move it. :lol:

Oh OK - into modern digitals it goes ;-) :grin1:

I have yet to be convinced by the new smart watches but who knows they might end up being like the mobile phone in years to come and we will all wonder how we managed without them. I tend to run about five years behind everyone else when it comes to new tech - or 35 years behind if the tech in question is a watch. :roll:

Impressed that it has 'Corning Gorilla Glass' that is one improvement I would like to see made in all watches........Err what is it? :lol: :scratch:

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post07 Jan 2014, 11:01

5 to 7 days battery...nope. :scratch: another thing i have to charge on a weekly base.
they not tell us how much ram it has inside..so how many app can i load on the watch..10/50/100?

50 different watchfaces + 1 year battery...okay..now we are talking watches :-D
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

jagmad

Guru

Guru

Post07 Jan 2014, 20:20

Kasper wrote:5 to 7 days battery...nope. :scratch: another thing i have to charge on a weekly base.
they not tell us how much ram it has inside..so how many app can i load on the watch..10/50/100?

50 different watchfaces + 1 year battery...okay..now we are talking watches :-D

Kasper remember this is more than a watch and everything in life is a compromise :grin1:
Maybe this may help the ram questions? http://mobile.theverge.com/2014/1/6/527 ... w-ces-2014

Along with googling the tech it's all out there...
This ain't apple you know. :lol:
The only resemblance may be changing the battery at the end of it's life. I'm looking into that :bye:
"I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member" Julius Henry Marx

"If necessity is the mother of invention, then mother is now standing at the door calling us in to do our home work"

IF YOUR MOBILE PHONE OR SMART WATCH DOESN'T NEED CHARGING AT LEAST EVERY WEEK YOU EITHER...

gjlelec

Wizard

Wizard

Post08 Jan 2014, 01:12

i bought a Sony "smart" tv with Gorilla glass (smarter than me anyway, i dont have a clue how it works) The Sony sales guy started beating the shite out of the showroom one to show how tough the glass was, i was standing there thinking "break ! break!" :grin1:

AlmightyTallest

Wizard

Wizard

Post09 Jan 2014, 17:12

For those interested in what Gorilla Glass is:

http://www.post-gazette.com/businessnews/2012/02/05/TechMan-Mega-glass-on-devices-made-with-chemicals/stories/201202050376

I read somewhere else that it was created back in the late 60's or early 70's, but at the time there wasn't a real use for it, until all these portable devices with large screens became available. Corning Glass had to go back to their old recipe books and start making it all over again after they were getting flooded with orders for the stuff.

I'm still with Kasper on the conveience thing. I personally don't like to have yet another device that needs recharged every few days like my phone, but I'm sure I'm probably in the minority, since most of the younger generation think nothing of having their cell phone, iPod, iPod speakers, Tablet, and Lord knows what else charged every few days, why not the watch too?? :grin1:

ronaldheld

Wizard

Wizard

Post10 Jan 2014, 14:26

I also do not need another device to charge up. When there is a cell phone on a wrist(such as Neptune Pine) then i should think about getting one.

jagmad

Guru

Guru

Post10 Jan 2014, 15:48

At the risk of having another thread deleted cos of differing opinions I'm still gonna give mine..

Well I guess wusses who don't want another thing to charge are gonna F up the sales of electric cars. M:)W:)M
I have to say I have never heard such a crap reason not to buy a product. It can do it while your asleep or doing
something else like driving (just take it off first or the insurance report is gonna take a bit of stick at head office). :lol:
Chances are most will have a crappy (imo) i pad or something similar that needs charging more often,
but because its, the in thing, they follow like sheep. Never thinking about the charging aspect at purchase.
Go on walk in to your local apple store and ask the sales man if they ever failed to make a sale,
Just because it needs to be charged. More than once a week if you use it. :roll:

Its not primarily a watch it's a gadget** that is also a watch, which in this case looks more like watch
than the first attempt.
Also be honest this week all of you count the amount of times your phone goes off and you take it out
your pocket only to find you didn't need to. Half the time it's an unwanted Txt or call and all it's done
is interrupted what you was doing. Me? I'll just take a quick peek at my watch without interrupting the
conversation or what ever and deal with it as necessary. (smug) :call: ;-)
The time and inconvenience I will suffer by having to charge it
will be well out weighed by that alone. :ha:

Ps** Mick perhaps you'd better put it back where I started the thread as cos it needs charging it's
technically not a very good watch. M:)W:)M

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post10 Jan 2014, 16:09

Excellent well constructed counter argument 'jagmad' it is always good to hear different opinions, obviously in this case the watch (or device) is something that is desirable to some if not to all.

Your post should not be deleted unless they contain material which goes against the forum rules - have you been a bad lad again? ;-)

BTW: The post is staying here, I still deem it as a modern watch even if it does require charging every few days or so. ;-)

ronaldheld

Wizard

Wizard

Post10 Jan 2014, 16:14

Another object to charge up is not bad at home but when traveling chargers tend to accumulate and another device to haul around assuming that is not your only watch you travel with. Easier IMO to just have a phone or a phone watch.

AlmightyTallest

Wizard

Wizard

Post10 Jan 2014, 18:59

I don't think a differing opinion should be deleted, it's the entire reason there's so many watch options out there.

wusses who don't want another thing to charge are gonna F up the sales of electric cars. M:)W:)M

Depends where your from, in my country, those electric cars aren't selling very well lol.

It can do it while your asleep or doing
something else like driving

But that sort of defeats the purpose of convenience for people, remember to take it off, put on charger, remember when you get up to take off charger, if you wear for a few days, remember that it's battery is now low and you need to get it back to charger again. I'm sure this is probably convenient for some who are used to this, but dang it, I'm getting old, and I forget things, so it's just easier to have a watch I can wear all the time without having to worry about it's battery status M:)W:)M Now get your battery charger off my front lawn you crazy kids!! :lol:

Chances are most will have a crappy (imo) i pad or something similar that needs charging more often,
but because its, the in thing, they follow like sheep. Never thinking about the charging aspect at purchase.

Again, your probably right, the younger generation do have a lot of electronic accessories so linking their watch up with those is probably an attractive option, but it's not for everyone.

Go on walk in to your local apple store and ask the sales man if they ever failed to make a sale,
Just because it needs to be charged. More than once a week if you use it. :roll:

Of course, bearing in mind that the Apple devices bring a lot more to the table for that single charging cycle, they have full internet access, large screens, play music and videos. This is just a watch we're talking about and the law of diminishing returns comes into play when you just want to keep track of time on your wrist, but it needs charged every few days because it's using so much power to use the WiFi to figure out how many pebble aps you may want to download for it.

Its not primarily a watch it's a gadget** that is also a watch, which in this case looks more like watch
than the first attempt.

I agree, it's a fun gadget for some, that can also be used as a watch, they are starting to look more refined than the first attempts from a few years past.

Also be honest this week all of you count the amount of times your phone goes off and you take it out
your pocket only to find you didn't need to.

LOL, now I know I'm in the minority here, the number of times is 0. In fact my cell phone hasn't rung for 3 months. I hate them.

Me? I'll just take a quick peek at my watch without interrupting the
conversation or what ever and deal with it as necessary. (smug) :call: ;-)
The time and inconvenience I will suffer by having to charge it
will be well out weighed by that alone. :ha:

Ahhh, exactly!! Now see? This is a watch that fits into your personal lifestyle and shows you have polite consideration of others! But as I said, there's a reason there's so many watches out there, for me it's inconvenient, but for you, it's not a problem. I'm glad we have the difference of opinion on these timepieces, otherwise we'd all wear the same thing, and it would be boring. :-D

jagmad

Guru

Guru

Post11 Jan 2014, 00:01

OK so basically the argument of another thing to charge has now been put somewhere at the bottom of the list,
well below "I have no friends and my phone don't ring so don't need a watch that does anything extra like this one. :lol: ;-) ;-)

Me thinks again this is a case of people giving their unconsidered and uninformed opinion. May I suggest that before
dismissing anything in life check it out thoroughly. Then and only then can one make the best decision possible.

remember to take it off, put on charger, remember when you get up to take off charger, if you wear for a few days, remember that it's battery is now low and you need to get it back to charger again. I'm sure this is probably convenient for some who are used to this, but dang it, I'm getting old, and I forget things, so it's just easier to have a watch I can wear all the time without having to worry about it's battery status M:)W:)M Now get your battery charger off my front lawn you crazy kids!! :lol:

+
LOL, now I know I'm in the minority here, the number of times is 0. In fact my cell phone hasn't rung for 3 months. I hate them.

So do you not charge your phone maybe once a week? That must be even more inconvenient as it is surplus to requirements :?: M:)W:)M M:)W:)M
Just the job for you I would have thought, you can set it to discreetly vibrate to help you to remember things. Like, :scratch:
When you've left your phone behind.You know the one you hate/don't use/ doesn't ring, but still have :ha:
Oh and to remind you to charge it when it gets to your pre-set % charge left. So you can switch off the blue tooth and just use it as a watch
so the battery lasts till you get to the crazy kids on your lawn and ask them to charge it for you cos you've forgoten how?? ;-) ;-)

So your getting old and me I just keep getting younger.(53 years young) Well you know what the doctor says "use it or loose it" :no:
Sorry just re-read your post. Scratch the above If you have problems remembering to take off and put on your watch even the doc' can't help. :lol: M:)W:)M
Hey I've just had a great idea for all you people who can't be bothered or remember to charge it. Why don't you buy some sandals, throw away all your
shoes and socks, cos there just another thing you've got to remember or be bothered to put on.
If you want to look a real twat wear the socks with the sandals.. M:)W:)M M:)W:)M

Again, your probably right, the younger generation do have a lot of electronic accessories so linking their watch up with those is probably an attractive option, but it's not for everyone.

I never said it was for everyone I was just saying the charging issue is not the real/main reason for you/others not considering it.
Ps. Thanks for making me one of the younger generation again 8-) (So that's why I still get the odd nasty Zit) :lol:

Of course, bearing in mind that the Apple devices bring a lot more to the table for that single charging cycle, they have full internet access, large screens, play music and videos.This is just a watch we're talking about and the law of diminishing returns comes into play when you just want to keep track of time on your wrist, but it needs charged every few days because it's using so much power to use the WiFi to figure out how many pebble aps you may want to download for it.

Deep breath......... here we go. So the apple device brings a lot to the table for one charge? What 5 days? I don't think so, not unless you use it very little
or forget you've got one :grin1:
As I said this is not JUST A WATCH. :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:
Anyone who buys one of these doesn't just want a watch. Oh and it doesn't use WiFi. :fool: ;-)

I agree, it's a fun gadget for some, that can also be used as a watch, they are starting to look more refined than the first attempts from a few years past.

Oh it's a gadget now did you forget it was just a watch :?: ;-) your words: "This is just a watch we're talking about"

I'm glad we have the difference of opinion on these timepieces, otherwise we'd all wear the same thing, and it would be boring.

We have a difference of opinion? WE have a difference of opinion? You have a difference of opinion with yourself about these timepieces/gadget.
Watch. Gadget. Watch. Gadget. Watch. Gadget.
I'll let Mick decide. :scratch:
Oh he already has B*%%*cks. :scratch: :scratch: Yeah your right it's a shit watch... Well you do have to charge it. :-?
Hey but a bloody good gadget though, whether you've lost marbles or not. :ha:
PPs. Can we just agree that the issue of charging is not the main reason for someone not to buy this watch?
Infact it's so low that we had better stop digging to find it or the fuel cell pebble watch will be with us before we get to it.
Then we won't give a flying fish about charging the bloody thing. :-D

:dwf: :amen:

AlmightyTallest

Wizard

Wizard

Post11 Jan 2014, 01:27

Heh, well like I said, I know I'm pretty much a dinosaur in this day and age, but everyone has their favorites when it comes to watches/gadgets.

I'm certain we're both speaking English on this, but somehow the meanings are being misinterpreted. :-)

I wish Pebble good luck with it, if you do purchase one jagmad, let us know how you like it, it's always nice to see a forum member here that has experience with one in person to review for the others. You might be able to convince some of us dinosaurs to go for it.

:-D

jagmad

Guru

Guru

Post11 Jan 2014, 03:21

So I am not misunderstood, my main reason for the last reply was to back up my statement
" I have to say I have never heard such a crap reason not to buy a product."
Which I most certainly stick by.
Now if anyone had given any of the other reasons like and including...
Gadgets ain't my thing especially on my wrist. Don't need one won't buy one.
Personally I think it looks like crap. Or even don't think it's gonna be a keeper. ;-)
I would have only said that my original question was "do you think that this being
a more classy looking item than their first attempt, is a step in the right direction"?

Not many portable gadgets that are as smart/small as this that does as much as this
don't need charging.
Maybe it carries a similar stigma as the blue tooth hands free in/on ear device when
they first appeared. There was even a beer advert here that made fun of a guy
showing off his to his mate in the bar. So the landlord calls him on his bluetooth
to tell him he's barred. M:)W:)M

As for the electric car not selling like hot cakes maybe this might change the dinosaurs mind?
Think you might be in the queue if the car could go 300 miles on one charge?
Then pull up at the charging station plug in and by the time you've walked into
the shop picked up the paper, snacks and a drink, it's charged. 16 friggin seconds? I cant wait :ironie: :-P
http://cleantechnica.com/2013/11/20/gra ... le-number/

Apparently one gram of graphene has the same surface area as a basketball pitch. :no:
Because it doesn't use volatile chemicals a super battery doesn't loose charge capacity
through it's lifespan. Such a battery would also allow an electric car to better harness
energy from braking. Conventional Li-Ion batteries are just to slow to effectively store
power from a few seconds of braking. That's why F1 teams use a fly wheel KERS system.
If you change the batteries in a BMWi3 or a Nissan leaf for the same KWh they would only
take 16 seconds to fully charge :mega:
So when they appear in your mobiles your only looking at a few milliseconds. :no:.. :Prost:

AlmightyTallest

Wizard

Wizard

Post11 Jan 2014, 04:03

I guess what I'm saying it comes down to what the individual customer sees as convenience.

Sure, I'd love a battery powered car that charges in a very short amount of time, but the special refueling stations location needs to be in convenient locations for me, the customer, I'm not going to drive so many miles out of my way just to charge it, as an extreme example. And there has to be a station near where I work, and near my home, much like normal gas stations are available today. But until then, I'm driving a gasoline fueled car, because it's convenient, for now. :-D

I like some gadgets, I would like the ability of my watch to use different faces and custom display formats to display the time or other info in a unique way, but I don't need a watch that uses so much power that it needs charged frequently, and going by these forums I'm not alone in wanting that in a watch. It looks better to me because their using steel, instead of cheap black plastic. The price is competitive and style is up to the customer's taste.

It's up to the potential buyer to decide if these watches are for them, personally I'm glad to see their trying to have a wrist-format device to try and compete with all the other portable technology available.

jagmad

Guru

Guru

Post11 Jan 2014, 13:01

Good point but not thought out very well again.
If there was several charging stations within a 100 mile radius + one at your home, with a 300 mile range
that would be enough. How often, by the time this takes off will you need to go more than 300 mile in one trip?
I understand about convenience I know everything is a trade off. There is no such thing as perfect.
I still say that any one who has a reasonable use for this gadget/ watch other that just a watch,
won't let the inconvenience of having to charge it stop them.
Personally, if the 5 days is based upon medium use I think they have done an excellent job considering
the weight/size.
Perception is everything that's how con artists and governments work.
I don't feel inconvenienced every time I fill my car/van up twice a week, and I
can't do that while I sleep.

cj.cooper

Post17 Jan 2014, 02:03

Can't say i'd get a smart watch - but it does strike me how poorly designed they are, mainly due to cost restraints i suppose.

I'd be trying to produce a curved e-ink screen on say a watch shaped like the Ventura Sigma, so the screen size fits better on the arm/wrist. Couple that with the new low energy blue tooth and a MGS power generator, and power issues/ recharging may be minimal.

Would cost a bit, mind... but look at the horror of this 'high-end' alternative.... create a mini brick, slap it on a wrist and add some hideous flanges (?) to try and hide the blocky boxiness of it.

"MetaWatch, is looking to take the category high-end by introducing a new line of Meta products designed by former Vertu designer Frank Nuovo."

jagmad

Guru

Guru

Post17 Jan 2014, 03:12

AlmightyTallest wrote:I guess what I'm saying it comes down to what the individual customer sees as convenience.

Sure, I'd love a battery powered car that charges in a very short amount of time, but the special refueling stations location needs to be in convenient locations for me, the customer, I'm not going to drive so many miles out of my way just to charge it, as an extreme example. And there has to be a station near where I work, and near my home, much like normal gas stations are available today. But until then, I'm driving a gasoline fueled car, because it's convenient, for now. :-D

Well I thought you guys over there had everything bigger and better than us over here. ;-)
We have a very clever thing over here it's called the National Grid. M:)W:)M
Even in a huge country like yours. I would have thought that if you stood any where that was
reasonably populated you would be within 150 miles of an electricity supply.

Another point would be that people in any country over 100 years ago. Didn't let the lack of
Petrol/Gas stations in their home/work area stop them buying a car.
They certainly didn't in either of our countries.

Remember that convenience is not the mother of invention. It's necessity.
Where's your pioneering spirit? Maybe I get mine from my Grandad (whom I never met)
according to my late father, he was the first person in our county to have Dunlop pneumatic
Tyres on his bicycle. Apparently he took a lot of flack. Seriously here are some of the things
my father told me they said to him...
"Where did you get the money for them"
"What a waste"
"Couldn't be doing with those new fangled things having to keep them pumped up"
"What will you do when you run over a thorn and get a puncture"?
"you'll have to push it then" :roll:
Of course we all know that solid rubber tyres have recently had a massive resurgence. :scratch: in F1 M:)W:)M
:scratch: I wonder if some people in the early seventies said "Huh digital watches, just
a fad"? Like some of the swiss stuck in the mud types, that went down the pan.

What I'm trying to say is that if everyone waits till the charging stations are on every corner.
Before they buy an electric car there never will be any of either.
"Narrow mindedness only gets you into tight spots" :amen:

fronzelneekburm

Guru

Guru

Post20 Jan 2014, 14:30

My boss has one and i was not really impressed. Maybe because i already had a china wrist watch cell phone like 4 or 5 years ago and it had a full color touchscreen tft, integrated browser, micro-sd slot, movie player, mp3, internet browser, blah. In the end i just discovered that i already had a smart phone and that i just ended up using the phone as the bigger screen is easier to use. Cool watch because of the e-ink display, but for me it would end up in the display showcase.

stockae92

Techie

Techie

Post20 Jan 2014, 20:19

cj.cooper wrote:"MetaWatch, is looking to take the category high-end by introducing a new line of Meta products designed by former Vertu designer Frank Nuovo."

Looks pretty good. But the thing about getged is that you current model will be obsolete by the time new model is released.

So I would hate to pay a lot up front, then then up with a expensive paper weight in a few years.

ronaldheld

Wizard

Wizard

Post21 Jan 2014, 14:23

Smartwatches are now changing rapidly, so it might be several years before things settle down.

stockae92

Techie

Techie

Post22 Jan 2014, 21:43

So far the original Pebble is still relatively inexpensive and have most fun to have

Building custom watch faces will keep me busy for a while ... LOL

Next

Return to Modern Digitals