Approximate Rarity and Value of Jules Jurgensen Optcom 1 LCD

Owners of VINTAGE DSM and LCD watches post their topics over here
  • Author

seikoric

Geek

Geek

Approximate Rarity and Value of Jules Jurgensen Optcom 1 LCD

Post28 Mar 2007, 17:42

Just received it in a job lot and wondering if it was a good catch, pretty funky looking thing

http://www.ledwatches.net/photo-pages/j ... n-lcd3.htm

Major prob although - screen was grey when i first looked at it, put it on my wrist and suddenly the screen starts turning black! then pink then black agian, then green and finally all black - over a period of about 5 minutes - what the hell was that about!!!

Anyway i was going to put a battery in but now it pretty much looks dead to me :(, how could this happen after surviving the trip across the continent?

Is this watch worth anything in a working state? how about a non-working state ? :roll:

Cheers! Ric

digibloke

Wizard

Wizard

re: Approximate Rarity and Value of Jules Jurgensen Optcom 1

Post29 Mar 2007, 00:09

A black liquid crystal display is usually a sign of air contamination. Basically it's no longer a vacuum in there and it's not fixable short of replacing the display or module. (and it's almost impossible to get parts).

If it's just come into a warm place from a cold place then give it a while to settle down then try a battery just in case.

It's a lovely watch. the field effect ones don't go for as much as the dsm but working it'd be worth anywhere between 200 and 500 dollars (although ebay's a bit of a lottery recently so anything could happen). If it's broken then I wouldn't get your hopes up too much.

seikoric

Geek

Geek

Post29 Mar 2007, 00:59

Hi,

thanks, yes air contamination would probably make sense, i tried a battery anyway but there is some corrosion inside now plus the screen is totally black so i cant see if it has any effect

Cheers! Ric

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post29 Mar 2007, 01:52

Ric:

keep an eye out for one that hasn't gone black but the case is beat to hell - I(and maybe a few others here) can swap out the displays. I recently cannabalized one that someone pulled the stem out of and got another in a very nice case working with that. I concur with those that say the black screen is death due to leakage. Sucks - those are very neat with their stem-set. :x I've saved the matrix from a few rarer items over the years, hoping the "body without eyes" will come across my bench. :?
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

seikoric

Geek

Geek

Post29 Mar 2007, 16:11

Yep, i'll try and do that - look out for a beat up one with a working module

In the meantime behold my magic watch! -

I woke up and looked at it and the screen was grey once again!

After picking it up 5 minutes later it look like this,

10 minutes later it is all black again as above (second post)

Ric

digibloke

Wizard

Wizard

Post29 Mar 2007, 22:56

I had a feeling it might do that. I've had one that did this and here's another one...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ULTRA-RARE-Vintag ... dZViewItem

Unfortunately it's still stuffed but is trying to tease you into thinking it's ok. Old watches can be cruel like that :wink:

seikoric

Geek

Geek

Post30 Mar 2007, 14:51

Wow, thats strange that it seems to be a common thing, i wonder what is causing it exactly

Well this is why i usually stick to japan LCD's as i know they ae reliable over many years (and cheap ;))

I got some life out of it although -

Before it went black again!

Ric

Old Tom

Wizard

Wizard

Post31 Mar 2007, 19:05

Believe it or not, but your display is melting! Normally the nematic material in LCD displays melts at about 45C (that is changes from the liquid crystal state to the liquid state) but as displays age impurities catalyse a change in the material which moves the melting point lower & lower. The melting point is also influenced by the application of an electric field hence your display starting grey and then going black after a few minutes (the field does not heat the material, it just changes the structure slightly)- you have a wonderful photo of the anisochroism that LCDs display just before they melt- the pretty pink/green colours come from different wavelengths of light being rotated by different amounts rather than the usual LCD function all wavelengths being equally rotated. Try popping your watch in the fridge (put it in a plastic bag to protect it from condensation) and see if it functions normally! As to value, all these Epsa Optel watches have value working or not- I personally adore them and have more than a few, both DSM and TN types. They are also big inside and quite easy to find your way around if they decide to stop.

Fitron

Wizard

Wizard

Post31 Mar 2007, 21:03

Try popping your watch in the fridge

Does this mean there's a market in Canada and Scandanavia for these then :D

Old Tom

Wizard

Wizard

Post31 Mar 2007, 21:44

Excellent! I can imagine the ebay title already- "Rare Cold Weather Epsa-Optel LCD Watch"

wzy-hman

Techie

Techie

Re: Approximate Rarity and Value of Jules Jurgensen Optcom 1

Post10 Feb 2014, 12:10

Just wanted to say thanks to Old Tom for the lucid explanation. I wish it wasnt the explanation for whats happening to an old Microma but Im glad I can stop scratching my head. Out of curiosity, is there a theoretical way this can be fixed? I say theoretical as I realise its probably not practical otherwise someone on this forum would probably be doing it already

fronzelneekburm

Guru

Guru

Post10 Feb 2014, 13:11

A theoretical fix would be to move to Northern Alaska or Siberia and only wear it outside?

I think the only practical fix would be changing the display...

wzy-hman

Techie

Techie

Post10 Feb 2014, 14:27

I meant if someone were to get whatever resources needed to repair the display panel then what would be done or if a read made replacement display isn't available then how would one go about replicating it (some of these old watches are v poorly documented so even the basic specs are usually not available - is a reverse engineering possible/needed?). I'm just speculating. I'm sure forum members with expertise will have an informed opinion

My Microma works fine at about 23 Celsius or below so I've been lucky to get some wear without a Siberian passport! Although I guess it's downhill from here inevitably

dutchsiberia

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post10 Feb 2014, 20:52

Hi Ric,

I just sent you a personal messsage about obtaining a nos lcd screen :)

I replaced the cracked screen of my watch with a new lcd screen.

coconutman351

Wizard

Wizard

Post03 Jan 2020, 01:58

Does the Jules Jurgensen Optcom 1 LCD case come with a crystal glass or is it a plastic face? I recently acquired an Optcom 1 and was planning remove the crystal or plastic face to refinish the case to restore the brushed finish just around the face area.

Return to Vintage DSM and LCD Watches