It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:01

Help with Seiko please?

For Stone Age Men (and Women) and their Toys
  • Author

Ambermile

Help with Seiko please?

Post25 May 2014, 12:49

OK, so this is the watch I like, I use it mostly because it just feels right on the wrist. However, a few weeks ago the strap decided to come apart and now I have to hold it together with a bit if tape (no laughing) because I have no idea where to get hold of the small pin that holds it together. Now I can live with this, I wear it because I like it not to look good... but a couple days ago the second hand came loose. I have managed to judiciously get it out of the case but it was a bit scary since I have no idea how the crown comes off so had to "coax" the module out opposite the crown to allow the hand to come out. The watch is back together now but without a second hand and I really want to sort this. I am currently using the Accurist as a daily but do miss the comfortable weight of this watch.

Anyway - point is, does anyone firstly know how the crown comes out and second, where I can source the small expanding/locking pin part for the strap? I have been able to find a new strap but at a little over £120 it seems a bit ott :o
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

richard_uk

Guru

Guru

Re: Help with Seiko please?

Post25 May 2014, 15:34

I can't help with the bracelet pin, but to remove the crown it's usually a little lever you have to push, it will be somewhere near where the crown stem goes into the movement, sometimes it has a dimple in it like a tiny bowl shape, you need to push the lever and pull the crown at the same time.

richard_uk

Guru

Guru

Post25 May 2014, 15:38

Is the bracelet pin just the usual spring pin? If so you buy them on eBay for pennies, or any jewellers should be able to fit one for you for a few quid.

Ambermile

Post25 May 2014, 16:27

Richard - the little lever inside does not move, hence the question. I thought I may have been missing something important or obvious. I will give it another go. Does the crown have to be fully in or fully out?

As for the pin no, it's not one of those. It is only about 5mm long and is one of the press-fit folded in half-type ones... I have tried a couple and they are the wrong size. Even tried Loctite on them!

Ambermile

Post25 May 2014, 16:58

OK, certain amount of relief... the alarm minute hand was loose when I got the movement out so I have now managed to fit both again. Also made a wee adjust to the chrono minute hand as the watch never was able to reset it back to 0... always nearer 3 for some reason. Now though, I cannot get the crown to lock back in! Well, I can - but after a few minutes it will come out again...

dutchsiberia

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post30 May 2014, 12:34

You might want to read this:
For the "A" version:

http://thewatchsite.com/files/Seiko%20T ... /7T32A.pdf

And the slightly modified "B" version.

http://thewatchsite.com/files/Seiko%20T ... _7T42B.pdf

I usually use an eye loupe, looking in the tiny holes of the back marked "push" and pull the crown until the indentation in the setting lever is visible. If I remember correctly, at the first click of the main crown and the second click of the alarm setting crown. Don't push too hard, the plastic movement is very fragile. If a crown fails to lock properly, you might have to disassemble the movement. (very scary, lots of little plastic gears)

Attaching the chrono seconds hand: push the hand on the axle using something like a wooden cocktail stick. Try to align it exactly with an index on the dial. You can adjust the zero reset position later, pull main crown to second click and push the top left button to align the minute hand and top right button to align seconds hand.

Good luck! I've been there....

Return to Non - Digitals with Hands