It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:09

Jaz Derby Swissonic - Accuracy

Discussion on Nixies, Jump Hours and all other digital watches, clocks and gadgets
  • Author

wzy-hman

Techie

Techie

Jaz Derby Swissonic - Accuracy

Post15 Sep 2014, 05:28

Would anyone know how to adjust the speed on a Jaz Derby Swissonic? Mine is running about 3-5 mins fast per day. Thanks!

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Re: Jaz Derby Swissonic - Accuracy

Post15 Sep 2014, 19:37

Get in touch with Piotr, (Azimuth) he has stripped several down in the past and will know how to proceed, he also has a very good write up on his web-site http://www.crazywatches.pl/derby-swisso ... -hour-1975

wzy-hman

Techie

Techie

Post16 Sep 2014, 18:53

OK thanks for the tip

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post22 Sep 2014, 17:00

Good luck with your Derby :bang:
This is the most erratic watch ever invented and I currently hate it as much as I love it.
I have repaired dozens of these and neither of them are alike although many share similar issues.
Play with the stud regulator on the balance hairspring which is the basic adjustment for any mechanical watch.
If the issue is elsewhere it will be mechanical friction due to age/wear on the plastic gears or rarely a capacitor out of specs on the battery clamp.
"The first and still only LED watch maniac in the East Block" - www.crazywatches.pl

wzy-hman

Techie

Techie

Post22 Sep 2014, 17:31

azimuth_pl wrote:Good luck with your Derby :bang:
This is the most erratic watch ever invented and I currently hate it as much as I love it.
I have repaired dozens of these and neither of them are alike although many share similar issues.
Play with the stud regulator on the balance hairspring which is the basic adjustment for any mechanical watch.
If the issue is elsewhere it will be mechanical friction due to age/wear on the plastic gears or rarely a capacitor out of specs on the battery clamp.

Thanks a lot for the advice. I will give it a try when I get some time. You have helped to mentally prepare me. I gather I should expect a frustrating experience!

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post22 Sep 2014, 17:36

If the watch is speeding it will not be friction, sorry. Play with the balance adjustment first.
On the other hand if the watch stops it will be the minute gear on the setting rod, sticky crown gear or simply a broken/shortened balance pinion where a new complete balance will need to be swapped.
"The first and still only LED watch maniac in the East Block" - www.crazywatches.pl

Return to Other digital watches, clocks and gadgets