It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:03

Never the same segments twice? HELP!

For electronic related stuff like module repair, silver epoxy fixes etc.
  • Author

jagmad

Guru

Guru

Never the same segments twice? HELP!

Post09 Dec 2014, 19:37

Hi all for some unknown reason I decided to open a Quartzmatic box and found a none worker.
Popped in a couple of 357's and segments were missing. :sad:
Decided maybe a clean was in order so I did and it improved a bit but I noticed that it was never the same
segments. Sometimes the bottom's sometimes the tops. So I ruled out the drivers.
Also if I pressed the pusher hard or soft it made a difference, but generally the harder I pressed the more
segments would work.
I also noticed that most of the time the same segments in each of the numbers would flash with varying
degrees of pressure. Which made me think drivers again. :bang:
Then during the removal and replacement of the back I found that pressing on the back harder had a similar
effect to the point of pressing hard enough made it work perfectly.
So I removed a brittle/broken gasket from around the recess part of the case back where the back presses on,
and then bent the wing flaps up slightly on the inside of the case back, so as to push harder on the cells
This just emphasised the slightly slack fit of the case back, not that slack it would fall off,
but didn't snap really tight either. I properly cleaned up both the case and the back especially where they meet
gave all cell/pusher-in fact all connections another clean, put it back together and still no change. :bang:
I then tried it on a test bed out of the watch and again the harder I pushed onto the connections the more segments would work.
Couple of pics below to show the module. Sorry about the poor quality. :oops:
(under a loupe it looks like a very fine dot display)

All comments/info gratefully received about module maker or type. :Prost:
Quartzmatic Front.jpg
Quartzmatic back.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member" Julius Henry Marx

"If necessity is the mother of invention, then mother is now standing at the door calling us in to do our home work"

IF YOUR MOBILE PHONE OR SMART WATCH DOESN'T NEED CHARGING AT LEAST EVERY WEEK YOU EITHER...
A. HAVE NO LIFE/FRIENDS. OR NEED FOR ONE.
B. YOU NEED TO SWITCH IT ON.

Return to Electronical