Color E-Ink Smart Watch Concept

The Future starts here
  • Author

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Color E-Ink Smart Watch Concept

Post11 Jan 2015, 00:31

The e-ink smart watch concept from Plastic Logic offers a glimpse into the future of wrist-worn technology.

The concept watch features a color e-ink display and a variety of functions, including a phone alert that identifies the caller, email access, heart-rate monitoring and QR code functionality. While there are other e-ink smart watches on the market, including the Kickstarter legend Pebble, the Plastic Logic concept is the first to feature a color display.

The smart watch is not available as a product yet; rather, it is meant to be a demonstration of the capabilities of Plastic Logic’s flexible displays.

Update : juli 2014

E-Ink Unveils 32 Inch Color e-Paper Screen

Color e-Paper was first unveiled in 2010 and the intention was to have a series of e-readers to hit the market to implement the technology. Not many companies bought into it, and it was quickly relegated to being an extremely expensive novelty. E Ink has been experiencing declining revenue for the last four quarters, losing millions of dollars. This has prompted them to diversify their portfolio and focus on digital signage. It is in this spirit that they have announced a new 32 inch digital screen, employing e-Ink Triton.

There are two modes to the screen, one can display the traditional e-Ink grayscale experience with a resolution 2560X1440, while the screen in full color will give you 720P. The technology was co-developed by e-Ink and Global Display Solutions who developed the enclosure technology, which facilitates deployment in outdoor conditions with very low power consumption.

E-Ink hopes to leverage this technology for public spaces that have lots of natural sunlight. The boon of this type of screen is that it is immune to glare, unlike traditional LCD screens. The company also hopes to expand their relationship with the United Nations, who currently has the largest e-paper sign at their headquarters in New York. The e-Wall has 231 tiled 7.4″ displays arranged in a grid of 33 displays across by 7 displays high. The new 32 inch screen would add full color, use less screens and has more upside than the old method.

The waiting isn't over yet :-(
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

jagmad

Guru

Guru

Re: Color E-Ink Smart Watch Concept

Post22 Jan 2015, 04:05

I'm not going to say it
I promise.
No I absolutely promise.
No. No. No.
No way Jose.
Nope.
I'm not.
Lips sealed.
Tongue tied.
I will resist..................................
The strain is just to much sorry.
Okay you win.

How long between charges. ~:(
"I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member" Julius Henry Marx

"If necessity is the mother of invention, then mother is now standing at the door calling us in to do our home work"

IF YOUR MOBILE PHONE OR SMART WATCH DOESN'T NEED CHARGING AT LEAST EVERY WEEK YOU EITHER...
A. HAVE NO LIFE/FRIENDS. OR NEED FOR ONE.
B. YOU NEED TO SWITCH IT ON.

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post22 Jan 2015, 09:39

jagmad wrote:I'm not going to say it
I promise.
No I absolutely promise.
No. No. No.
No way Jose.
Nope.
I'm not.
Lips sealed.
Tongue tied.
I will resist..................................
The strain is just to much sorry.
Okay you win.

How long between charges. ~:(

M:)W:)M

.. .. Not long enough (probably) ;-)

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post22 Jan 2015, 09:52

My grey e-ink watch keeps going for months..don't forget it only need power when changing display...so this looks promising.

Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

- Kasper -

AlmightyTallest

Wizard

Wizard

Post12 Dec 2015, 21:40

Have you guys seen the new color E-ink watches?

Pebble Time iOS and Time Steel:

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/pebble-time-ios-review-astounding-battery-life-color-e-paper-display-make-apples-467065

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2960737/gadgets/pebble-time-steel-smartwatch-goes-up-for-pre-order-as-early-reviews-roll-in.html

iOS battery life is about a week
Time Steel is listed as 10 days. ;-)

There's an issue with color E-ink display being harder to see under some light conditions though unfortunately, making me suspect it's not a true E-ink display but one of the newer more readable LCD display technologies.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/the-sensational-pebble-time-smartwatch-too-bad-120033858169.html

And, this difficult to see display makes me think it's not a true E-ink display, more like the Sharp memory LCD display which was used on older Pebble watches.

Still wearing my Seiko EPD though lol :-D

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post14 Dec 2015, 00:02

I still think "the Pebble Steel" is the best smartwatch available this moment. Buttons ‘in stead of touchscreen‘ works always, A low powered color lcd screen that always on.
No it,s not a color e-ink screen but a color transflective lcd screen.. http://www.newdwf.com/viewtopic.php?f=84&t=7216.
And a 10 days battery life.

it has everything what i call a perfect smartwatch...long batterylife..buttons for easy operation...always on...backlight...standard bracelet...differend watchfaces...and a great notification system.
Nothing comes close at the moment.

:dwf:

- Kasper -

jagmad

Guru

Guru

Post14 Dec 2015, 01:27

Kasper wrote:I still think "the Pebble Steel" is the best smartwatch available this moment. Buttons ‘in stead of touchscreen‘ works always, A low powered color lcd screen that always on.
No it,s not a color e-ink screen but a color transflective lcd screen.. http://www.newdwf.com/viewtopic.php?f=84&t=7216.
And a 10 days battery life.

it has everything what i call a perfect smartwatch...long batterylife..buttons for easy operation...always on...backlight...standard bracelet...differend watchfaces...and a great notification system.
Nothings comes close at the moment.

:dwf:

OMG Kasper :call:
That's a step in the right direction. (maybe)?
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=6950&p=50560&hilit=step+in+the+right#p50560
Now let's not go there again???
Sorry about me. :fool:
But your absolutely right of course. ;-)

Here's mine.

pebble Blk L.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member" Julius Henry Marx

"If necessity is the mother of invention, then mother is now standing at the door calling us in to do our home work"

IF YOUR MOBILE PHONE OR SMART WATCH DOESN'T NEED CHARGING AT LEAST EVERY WEEK YOU EITHER...
A. HAVE NO LIFE/FRIENDS. OR NEED FOR ONE.
B. YOU NEED TO SWITCH IT ON.

Return to Smartwatches