It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:53

Hughes Aircraft Co

• Author

Andrew Babanin

Techie

Techie

Hughes Aircraft Co

Post17 Feb 2016, 03:19

Cannot recognise what a trade mark. No inscriptions on the watch, just a few on the module. 1974th - the year of production?

The proof of the pudding is in the eating...

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Re: Hughes Aircraft Co

Post17 Feb 2016, 03:41

Amazingly enough, Hughes also made clock chips for Time Computer. Accidental discovery of a Hughes-logoed chip in an original P3 module. I had always presumed, like everybody else, that RCA was the sole supplier of chips for the Pulsar watches...not so.

Diginut

Techie

Techie

Post17 Feb 2016, 15:15

bruce wegmann wrote:Amazingly enough, Hughes also made clock chips for Time Computer. Accidental discovery of a Hughes-logoed chip in an original P3 module. I had always presumed, like everybody else, that RCA was the sole supplier of chips for the Pulsar watches...not so.

Reminds me of an interesting thread about the origins of Pulsar IC's back in 2007.

Around about then I had bought a couple totally dead-knackered-wasted-useless Pulsar Calculator watches from ebay for not a lot of $$'s and decided to use them as the first objects to examine under a decent binocular microscope, complete with a medium res CCD camera built into it.

Here's some sample photos. Besides missing nearly every wire bond, the chips came from a variety of manufacturers, most obvious of which was Toshiba, with a 1975 date on the substrate !

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Andrew Babanin

Techie

Techie

Post19 Feb 2016, 03:32

I'm so sorry but I didn't understand - I know the module producer, but what about watch itself? Ordinary module from Hughes Aircraft for lots of wacth manufacturers or just not typical module? 1974 - the year of production - or just a coincidence?
Best regards,
Andrew

richard_uk

Guru

Guru

Post19 Feb 2016, 04:15

It's a very common module, they were fitted in lots of different branded cases. I would say 11/74 was the month/year of manufacture, nice that it has the dot display most of the Hughes modules had the line type display.

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post19 Feb 2016, 16:29

The most unusual Hughes I ever came across was a dot display with colon and 'advanced' time setting procedure. Someone at the factory must have found some older displays and decided to mount them on the newer PCB's.

Andrew Babanin

Techie

Techie

Post02 Nov 2019, 23:31

A few LED watches in the collection

Cornavin with sensor buttons. Just touch it by hand for watching time. There are two buttons - Mode and setting (a bit lower the surface of the glass). There are hours, minutes, seconds, date, month and day of week.

Ladies LED watch Texas Instruments - the easiest - hours, minutes, seconds, day and month.

Led driver watch JAZ with ETA ЕSA 9290 inside, the glass has a crack.

You can choose hours and minutes ...

… or day and seconds

Funny ladies watch with only two digits. First displayed hours, then minutes. I placed here pics of module earlier.

Return to All other LED watches