HP 01 module under development

• Author

767Geoff

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

HP 01 module under development

Post10 Mar 2016, 21:06

Hello all!

A friend has just completed a prototype replacement module for the HP 01. It uses the LED block and keyboard from the original. So they must be undamaged and functional.

He is targeting mid summer and a cost around 800 euros. He does all the work and the watch is purported to be more accurate, less energy consuming then the original.

Most of the damage on the twenty or so that I have repaired were to the gold traces on the porcelain. I have never seen a damaged keyboard but that is a small sample size. I suggest a thorough examination of the led wire bonds with a digital or analog microscope to ensure their continuity.

I will let you know more as the info comes in. Here is a taste of what he does, his passion is for all things HEWLETT PACKARD LED. I did a talk in Nashville on his Woodstock board upgrades and have completed the HP 25 enhanced GPS to one of my old non-functioning LED HP 25 calculators and upgraded five others for myself and others:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4tYbkMdv6Y

This will give an idea of what he does?

Cheers. Geoff

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Re: HP 01 module under development

Post10 Mar 2016, 23:31

This is a laudable accomplishment, but I perceive a problem. 800E is about US$1000. Right now there are 3 nice HP01s on eBay; one at $1399, one at $1099, and one at $749. Given the choice between an original, and fully functioning watch, and a repaired one, considering the marginal price difference, and I'll go with the original watch every time. Unless your friend can trim that price down to 400-500E, tops, my guess is that he will have VERY few sales, and even then, it won't be a big market, as the watch was not made in any great number. Not saying it isn't worth doing (it is), but, it has to be done at a practical cost; just the way the world works.

767Geoff

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post11 Mar 2016, 00:00

Already discussed that, dependent on orders and sourcing. I have given him Hanno and Neil's numbers for sourcing manufacturers.

He has the code (emulator chip) testing on a Woodstock calculator fully functioning. The 800 at the moment is his installation, that comes down if you buy the kit and do it yourself.

Mentioned also; how do you know other then visual inspection in the LED block for wire bond damage versus driver chips. His chip includes the rom, ram, drivers and etc but of course, not the led block.

So very preliminary.

Geoff

SASM

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post22 Apr 2016, 16:48

Hello Geoff,

the project is very intersting. I would say that the success of sales depend on how many broken watches are around. I repair quite a lot of no-name watches which do not have a high overall value but are of a personal interest (first watch, heirlooms etc) The costs to produce these modules highly depend on the amount of work (time) you have to spend to get such a module running and of course the time to get the software and layout working.

Hanno

Return to All other LED watches