It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:40

Modern LED alternatives to HGWC and Kosmonauta?

Discussion on MODERN LED, LCD, OLED and E-INK watches
  • Author

your_man_in_Hamburg

Techie

Techie

Modern LED alternatives to HGWC and Kosmonauta?

Post04 Jun 2018, 22:22

Hi again!

I have been away from the digital watch scene for a couple of years. Part of the reason may have been the burglary, "liberating" me from all my (working) wrist watches. However, I recently realised a) that I have not yet bought myself a birthday present, and b) that I have yet to spend the rest of the money my insurance company gave me after the burglary.
So, as you may have guessed, the devil is currently tempting me to buy a new LED watch.
Since I have been away for awhile, I may not be fully aware of all the options on the market. I know about the HGWC, and I know about the Kosmonauta, but that's about it.

Is there more to choose from?

(El-Cheapo watches do not count. Please restrict yourself to watches suitable for WISs.)

dot matrix

Digital Guy <br>(Forum Founder)

Re: Modern LED alternatives to HGWC and Kosmonauta?

Post18 Jan 2019, 04:59

I have been wondering the same thing.

The only other modern LED that I have been able to find is the cubewatch:

https://www.cubewatch.be/

Looks similar to a "smart"-watch when the display isn't activated but is "voluntarily not connected." I would put this watch as better than cheapo but not quite up to WIS level.

G. Gerlach's website no longer lists the Stainless Steel Kosmonauta as being available, only the black PVD version. I have inquired whether there will be any more Stainless versions available but have not heard back. I have ordered a black PVD because I am concerned those may run out at some point too.
LED watches are quiet and polite. No ticking, no tocking, no beeping, no buzzing; they will only tell you the time when you ask to see it and they will do so instantly with no attention-seeking animations. A more civilized watch for a more civilized age.

Pulsar77

Techie

Techie

Post20 Jan 2019, 11:17

Hello,

As far as I know, there is not much choice outside Gerllach and HGWC, that's what I found :

LIP DIODE new version 2018

The Omega Speedmaster Spacemaster Z-33

The Majestyk (2006)

Digital LCD & LED watches fan

richard_uk

Guru

Guru

Post20 Jan 2019, 21:19

Did the oldpulsars.com remake from several years ago ever materialise?

richard_uk

Guru

Guru

Post20 Jan 2019, 21:25

I guess not..

2B826C5D-B4F5-44F2-A0D6-B361E407731F.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Pulsar77

Techie

Techie

Post20 Jan 2019, 21:56

I never heard anything about it.

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post20 Jan 2019, 23:52

Dennis' abortive "updated" LED watch project was called the "Inverta". The gimmick was a reversible display, so you could show someone else the time without twisting your arm around. He supposedly spent a lot of money on the development, but, as far as I know, nothing beyond a single prototype ever came of it (and I'm not certain about even the prototype; there are digital renderings, but nothing I'm certain is actually a photograph). The price tag was nonsense ($500), and the whole thing died a noisy death after a year went by with no takers. I called it the "swimming pool watch", because of the shape of the crystal (it was, in short, an ugly watch). He made a big deal about knowing, and being good friends with, Jean Wuischpard (brilliant designer of most, if not all, of the Pulsar product line). I never understood why, if that was true, he didn't have Jean design a new Pulsar watch for him? Even I would have bought one of those...it would have had legitimate ties to the rest of the Time Computer models. (In passing, I note; Jean's name was never mentioned on the 12:08 site until AFTER his death...I have no idea why.)
The biggest failing in modern designs is the LED display itself...the dot-segment displays were unique to the 1970's, and without them, no matter how elegant the design of the watch, it just doesn't "look right".

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post21 Jan 2019, 03:08

bruce wegmann wrote:The biggest failing in modern designs is the LED display itself...the dot-segment displays were unique to the 1970's, and without them, no matter how elegant the design of the watch, it just doesn't "look right".

Some of the modern displays look awful, especially those backlit faux led's :~#

SASM

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post23 Jan 2019, 21:55

bruce wegmann wrote:Dennis' abortive "updated" LED watch project was called the "Inverta". The gimmick was a reversible display, so you could show someone else the time without twisting your arm around. He supposedly spent a lot of money on the development, but, as far as I know, nothing beyond a single prototype ever came of it (and I'm not certain about even the prototype; there are digital renderings, but nothing I'm certain is actually a photograph). The price tag was nonsense ($500), and the whole thing died a noisy death after a year went by with no takers. I called it the "swimming pool watch", because of the shape of the crystal (it was, in short, an ugly watch). He made a big deal about knowing, and being good friends with, Jean Wuischpard (brilliant designer of most, if not all, of the Pulsar product line). I never understood why, if that was true, he didn't have Jean design a new Pulsar watch for him? Even I would have bought one of those...it would have had legitimate ties to the rest of the Time Computer models. (In passing, I note; Jean's name was never mentioned on the 12:08 site until AFTER his death...I have no idea why.)

To add Information, I agree that the watch shape is a bit strange and I did not like it when I saw it on the oldpulsars Website. That totally changed when I visited Dennis twice in Florida. I saw original samples with different Display Colours. The quality and the whole appearance of these samples are stunning! I have an Inverta bracelet here in my stock and even a module to play with. I would love to give the project a kick so that Dennis could finally sell these watches, but we have different opinions on a few issues. It´s nothing special, just imagine you are a great marketing guy (and Dennis is for sure an expert here) and then you have a stupid developer who says no, change this, do that and so the project sometimes cannot be finished.

bruce wegmann wrote:The biggest failing in modern designs is the LED display itself...the dot-segment displays were unique to the 1970's, and without them, no matter how elegant the design of the watch, it just doesn't "look right".

There´s nothing to add, I have exactly the same opinion!

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post23 Jan 2019, 22:22

I can't remember what it looks like (the Inverta) any links or pics?

dot matrix

Post24 Jan 2019, 06:28

bucko170 wrote:I can't remember what it looks like (the Inverta) any links or pics?

I did a forum search on Inverta and saw many posts going back to 2006. I think the design was ahead of its time; although there was a lot of backlash ten years ago, it now looks pretty innocuous - I would pick one up.

As for other LEDs in addition to the HGWC and Kosmonauta, besides the cubewatch, I have also found a guy on etsy who makes them by hand -

il_1140xN.1296980926_irou.jpg

https://www.etsy.com/shop/Bobricius
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LED watches are quiet and polite. No ticking, no tocking, no beeping, no buzzing; they will only tell you the time when you ask to see it and they will do so instantly with no attention-seeking animations. A more civilized watch for a more civilized age.

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post24 Jan 2019, 06:48

Still looks like a swimming pool to me...the color of the LEDs doesn't do anything to divert that impression. This looks like some passable CGI (except for the finger, which looks almost mechanical)...so I'm still guessing a full proto was never done. The style of the display is also not an esthetic triumph (I understand, that to replicate the 70s-type dot-segment readout in blue LEDs would cost a fortune, but hey, this was supposed to be a top-tier watch!). My original assessment remains unchanged.

Pulsar77

Techie

Techie

Post06 Apr 2019, 12:53

Hello,

Now there is the new Bulova Computron from Basel 2019

The review on Worn & Wound :

https://wornandwound.com/baselworld-201 ... computron/

Return to Modern Digitals