Seiko 0634-5019 can't set time or date

Owners of VINTAGE DSM and LCD watches post their topics over here
  • Author

coconutman351

Wizard

Wizard

Seiko 0634-5019 can't set time or date

Post10 Mar 2019, 08:12

My Seiko vintage chronograph model number 0634-5019 unfortunately was damaged by a battery leak. I cleaned as much as I could and managed to revive the watch. The only issue is I have a couple of lingering issues. When I try to set time the left button to advance the digit value not only advances the value by one but it automatically moves on to the next display digits thus making time setting next to impossible. My light function also behaves strange, when pressing the button to activate the light it continues to stay on. As part of the cleaning process I took apart the entire display system to make sure non of the residual acid was present. I'm wondering if perhaps the gold pins that contact the LCD display panel may have been misaligned in the cleaning process thus impacting the function keys. Anyone had this similar behavior with their watch?

Adam

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Re: Seiko 0634-5019 can't set time or date

Post10 Mar 2019, 12:16

Check the tech guides and make sure you have put the button lever in the right way round, its possible its sticking. If you are missing any digits you very carefully have to raise the low prong corresponding to that digit.

regards

Adam
http://www.digital-watch.com - online database of 2000+ watches, manuals and adverts from the 70s-90s
http://www.vintagelcd.com - Vintage Digital Watches for sale

coconutman351

Wizard

Wizard

Post10 Mar 2019, 20:26

Thanks Adam, I did check the manual that shows and expanded view of how the display module is put together, and the setting lever is installed correctly. All my LCD segments are good and functional and I did verify that the gold chip pins that are contacting the LCD display are at the proper height as recommended by the manual. I'm just hoping that somehow it's not shorted internally below the battery holder board as they are all riveted together. It does behave as though the left function button is somehow interacting with the other function button. Sometimes when I reassemble the LCD display my display light functions normally, sometimes when I reassemble it again my LCD display light stays on after letting the button go. I'm hoping the chip logic has not been damaged. I also had to order a new setting lever as the piece that secures the crown broke. I managed to find one on ebay so it's on its way now all the way from Italy. Overall the watch is functioning normally and keeps good time, it's just a challenge to set the time. Maybe I should consider getting a new battery cell just in case the lower voltage may be affecting the watch performance. Thanks again for your suggestions and I welcome any other suggestions, I'll keep you updated!

coconutman351

Wizard

Wizard

Post17 Mar 2019, 21:01

Update to the fix. I managed to clean the module as much as I could and aligned the display to the gold pin contacts. I'm assuming back then Seiko didn't have the conductive rubber strip to connect the LCD panels to the logic board, thus they used gold plated pins that allow the spring tension to keep the display in contact with the logic board. I also managed to find a replacement setting lever on eBay from a seller in Italy searching on part number 838 649 and amazingly I found this seller! Without this part the crown would pop out and be lost forever, so I decided to find a replacement before reassembling it. I'm now able to set the time, although not 100% back to factory specifications I'm at least able to set the time and use this watch. Thanks all for your assistance, one more 0634 restored and working!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

coconutman351

Wizard

Wizard

Post27 Mar 2019, 20:01

Update: seems like my Seiko is almost working, the left button seems to be extremely sensitive. For example when setting time, pressing the left button to increment the Hours it will increment it then automatically move to the Minutes and again if I press it once more the minutes increment then moves to the DAY. Weird. Also sometimes when pressing the light button, also controlled by the left button, it stays on. I have to set it to chrono mode to turn off the light. Any ideas please let me know! Thanks!

Adam

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post27 Mar 2019, 20:24

Get it out of the watch and test it the best you can
http://www.digital-watch.com - online database of 2000+ watches, manuals and adverts from the 70s-90s

coconutman351

Wizard

Wizard

Post28 Mar 2019, 01:44

Hi Adam, I've tested it out of the case, however it behaves the same both in and outside of the case.

Adam

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post28 Mar 2019, 10:39

Other than a logic problem i'm struggling. You could test visually the crown mechanism is doing what it's meant to, thats it's touching a contact when it shouldnt, also, check the button lever again, make sure it can only touch one connection at a time. But if your getting the same problems when out of the case I think you may be onto a lost cause.

coconutman351

Wizard

Wizard

Post28 Mar 2019, 19:32

Thanks Adam, the only thing I can think of is some short on the logic board, that's causing the left button to react differently. I checked the crown switch and all appears well, and as you can see I even replaced the crown switch because of the broken crown retention lever as shown in the photo. I will attempt to restore the solder joints by reheating them and extracting the old solder and reapply new solder. One of the earlier things that I did to get the logic board working was to reheat the soldering points to rule out any cold joints or fractures. The watch keeps time well, so logically it's keeping time, it's just the left button control that's marginal. Aside from getting a new logic board on ebay that may be my only alternative. Will provide an update. thanks again for your ideas, I appreciate it!

coconutman351

Wizard

Wizard

Post01 Apr 2019, 08:46

UPDATE: I found the problem and fixed it! The culprit was cold solder joints on the circuit boards. When I heated up the existing solder it turned to goop so I had to use my solder extracting tool and remove the old stuff and re solder. I re-soldered the leads from the main logic chip and the 2nd layer battery board that sits on top of the main display board. Now my chronograph functions work, the light turns of as it should and I can easily set the date and time normally. All this because of a battery leak! Well at least it's back to it's original working order!

Adding: I would have left the watch as is as I was able to set the time but in a very complicated manner but it was possible. Chronograph was unusable and being this watch was Seiko's first digital watch with chrono function I just had to take the chance and open everything up again. I wore my Seiko with the defects but it somehow didn't feel complete, so I took the chance and opened everything up again to fully restore its functionality. Now I can comfortably wear it knowing everything works 100%.
Last edited by coconutman351 on 01 Apr 2019, 09:15, edited 1 time in total.

Adam

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post01 Apr 2019, 08:57

Dogged determination. Great work and thank you for sharing. Most of us would have given up on it.

coconutman351

Wizard

Wizard

Post01 Apr 2019, 09:20

Thanks Adam, I was starting to give up too! I started searching for logic boards on eBay and almost considered just buying another 5019 model! I have some Pulsar LED modules that I've given up on, no matter what I did they were clearly dead.

coconutman351

Wizard

Wizard

Post10 Nov 2019, 21:04

Finally fully resolved my Seiko, unfortunately I had to resort to a doner module. I acquired a 6034-5009 watch part this week on eBay and fortunately the module and display worked perfectly. Did the operation this morning and happy to say my 5019 timepiece is fully functional and back to the way its supposed to work. It does pay to be patient and set your project aside until the correct parts become available.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Adam

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post12 Nov 2019, 13:35

Good persistence. Shame your repair didnt work. Did it end up being a logic problem?

coconutman351

Wizard

Wizard

Post12 Nov 2019, 20:50

Aloha Adam, yes I believe so the module was behaving erratically and setting the time was almost impossible. Normally in the setting mode one button would increment the value and the other button would change the setting mode (Hr, Min, Date..etc), in this case pressing the increment button did two things, it incremented the value then changed the setting mode. So just trying to set the Hr I would have to cycle through the min, date and Hr over an over. I thought maybe there was a short on the logic board and tried to re-solder some of the connections but again it would react erratically.

I then worked on the LCD mounting thinking perhaps not all pins were contacting the display. Well through that process the LCD display started to bleed. That's when I decided to put everything away and wait for a donor module. I was fortunate to find someone selling their 0635-5009 watch for parts as shown. I was pleased to see that both the logic board and display was working perfectly.

Return to Vintage DSM and LCD Watches