Owners of VINTAGE DSM and LCD watches post their topics over here
  • Author

767Geoff

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Astronomical watch “Casio Cosmo Phase”

Post10 Apr 2019, 09:46

Hello,

Been awhile since I posted a resto or resto mod. So there will be a few coming to this site!

A few years ago I picked up a new old stock plastic version of this watch. Too bad Casio made so many plated pot steel and plastic versions leaving out the stainless choice. Watches such as the CFX-40 / 400 or the CFX-20 / 200 in plastic and chrome plated pot steel. Not many of these watch cases survive unscathed and yet these exceptional modules seem to. You would think the CFx versions would have gotten a stainless steel version.

Well I finally got a hold of a Stainless Steel Cosmo Phase 830) which I intend to wear so I did a restomod on it for my wrist! The mod part is the case finishing, I wanted to show off the stainless steel so I mixed up the pitted and scarred case with polished and flat steel surfaces. Also the labels which are silk screened on to two semicircular aluminum plates had the writing worn off. I removed them exposing the flat steel finish which contrasts nicely with the gloss polished highlights.

So removed the module, crystal and crystal gasket, pusher circlips, pushers and pusher springs. Ultrasonically cleaned all case parts except the dial. I replaced the six pusher gaskets as well as the case gasket. The module was in excellent shape with no corrosion or battery leakage or jeweller scratches. The price was right due to the sandblasted crystal and the scarred case.

Here we go:

Before:

Case back:

Module removed with case parts showing. Note the four springs, pushers, circling and six o-ring gaskets. I was wondering with the odd number of o-rings whether someone was in the case before me. I THINK this was factory, any one else taken one of these apart. The two lower pushers require two o-rings for the pusher to seat correctly (flush) inside the case. The two upper pushers do not require two o-rings to accomplish this. Longer springs would correct this but as you can see the springs are all the same length.

The module (absolutely in perfect shape):

Case and case back refinished:

Some shots:

To see the functions on this watch; here is a link to a copy of the manual:

http://mygshock.com/casio-manual/830/

Cheers, Geoff

ronaldheld

Wizard

Wizard

Re: Astronomical watch “Casio Cosmo Phase”

Post10 Apr 2019, 12:44

I have one, but the module just died, as no battery changes makes it work.

Adam

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post10 Apr 2019, 12:54

Ronaldheld have you reset the AC? You probably have but just a thought.
http://www.digital-watch.com - online database of 2000+ watches, manuals and adverts from the 70s-90s
http://www.vintagelcd.com - Vintage Digital Watches for sale

ronaldheld

Wizard

Wizard

Post10 Apr 2019, 13:12

Adam wrote:Ronaldheld have you reset the AC? You probably have but just a thought.

I thought that I did, but will try again.

767Geoff

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post10 Apr 2019, 15:43

Yes, that is a surprise when you swap batteries. You would think that it would light up with something.

ronaldheld

Wizard

Wizard

Post11 Apr 2019, 21:49

NO, pressing a and c did nothing. Must be dead.

simone

Guru

Guru

Post11 Apr 2019, 22:50

Wow, i had the plastic version back in 1992. Memories :-D

:dwf:
Some watches are made to last only as long as they are fashionable
Some watches, simply are not made to last
Seiko watches are designed to withstand the ravages of both time and fashion
Someday perhaps, all watches will be made this way

ronaldheld

Wizard

Wizard

Post11 Apr 2019, 22:54

I suppose I could look on Ebay for an affordable replacement...

cybr

Wizard

Wizard

Post12 Apr 2019, 00:00

ronaldheld wrote:NO, pressing a and c did nothing. Must be dead.

Sorry for my intervention and with all due respect for the other forums members, but on the vintage cca 1980 Casio's, AC reset DID NOT MEAN to press A and C from the buttons of the watch marked A and C in the manual as in the later Seiko's manuals :grin1: , it usually means that You will do on the battery level a shortcut using tweezers between + and - of the battery (usually AT some SPECIFICALLY marked points in the watch movement.) :grin1:
Regards,
Every watch should have its own story...consequently, a watch collector has to be a good storyteller :)

ronaldheld

Wizard

Wizard

Post12 Apr 2019, 00:55

cybr wrote:
ronaldheld wrote:NO, pressing a and c did nothing. Must be dead.

Sorry for my intervention and with all due respect for the other forums members, but on the vintage cca 1980 Casio's, AC reset DID NOT MEAN to press A and C from the buttons of the watch marked A and C in the manual as in the later Seiko's manuals :grin1: , it usually means that You will do on the battery level a shortcut using tweezers between + and - of the battery (usually AT some SPECIFICALLY marked points in the watch movement.) :grin1:
Regards,

Thanks. I never had to have that done.. Could you provide pictures, when convenient?

767Geoff

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post12 Apr 2019, 02:32

On the back of the module, the battery side you will see the letters AC. This stands for all clear. Simply insert the battery, connect the battery holder in place. Take your tweezers and insert one end into the hole immediately adjacent to the AC and the other end of the tweezers to the positive side of the 2016 button cell. This causes a short resetting the IC.

You will get a momentary display of all LCD panels then the time should start ticking at 12:00.

Cheers, Geoff

I too have the plastic version in NOS condition that was marked ‘not working for parts’. It simply needed the above reset procedure. Always wanted a stainless steel version and now I have one also. In fact I am wearing it now carefully as I am awaiting a new crystal.

ronaldheld

Wizard

Wizard

Post12 Apr 2019, 02:38

Thanks Geoff. I will have to get the person who changed the battery to perform this procedure.

767Geoff

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Adam

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post12 Apr 2019, 20:13

Sorry Ronaldheld, What Geoff wrote is what I meant. I dont work on newer Casios so only know of the AC reset by shorting the marked AC contact with the battery.
http://www.digital-watch.com - online database of 2000+ watches, manuals and adverts from the 70s-90s
http://www.vintagelcd.com - Vintage Digital Watches for sale

ronaldheld

Wizard

Wizard

Post12 Apr 2019, 20:17

Adam wrote:Sorry Ronaldheld, What Geoff wrote is what I meant. I dont work on newer Casios so only know of the AC reset by shorting the marked AC contact with the battery.

No problem, Adam. I will report back when I get it tried.

Caruso

Wizard

Wizard

Post18 Apr 2019, 19:30

Lovely job, where did you get the bracelet?
Check out my vintage digital channel on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/danhay1137

767Geoff

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post19 Apr 2019, 19:38

That’s off a 1990s Seiko. Had to file the end lugs for the correct depth and curve. Looks higher end with the bracelet versus leather in my opinion. Also I like the brushed / polished look I gave the case as the label strips were bare of script and damaged.

Casio is famous for pot steel and chrome plated or plastic cases so to find a stainless case was nice. The flat sandblasted finish made it look like a cheaper almost plastic painted version (in the condition I found this).

So call this a mod resto.

Geoff.

Looking for the clock now!

Geoff

Caruso

Wizard

Wizard

Post20 Apr 2019, 00:00

767Geoff wrote:That’s off a 1990s Seiko. Had to file the end lugs for the correct depth and curve. Looks higher end with the bracelet versus leather in my opinion. Also I like the brushed / polished look I gave the case as the label strips were bare of script and damaged.

Casio is famous for pot steel and chrome plated or plastic cases so to find a stainless case was nice. The flat sandblasted finish made it look like a cheaper almost plastic painted version (in the condition I found this).

So call this a mod resto.

Geoff.

Looking for the clock now!

Geoff
I had the clock and sold it! It had spots on the LCD though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R72OWVk43dM&t=350
Check out my vintage digital channel on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/danhay1137

ronaldheld

Wizard

Wizard

Post24 Apr 2019, 02:24

Tried to short the IC out. It did not work.

767Geoff

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post24 Apr 2019, 19:45

Caruso,

Arghh, one for sale on eBay but part of a collection for sale. WAY above my budget! Saw your eBay sale when googling the clock module number.

Ronaldheld,

Sounds like a dead module but for what reason. Just plugging in a new cell should not do that. If forced into to position it may have deformed the metal clips that hold the module sections together. The LCD, PCA and battery section on pressed and held together by a metal clip system and screws.

I would inspect the module out of the case with the battery in place. Gently compress with my thumb and forefinger on various points on the module (not the LCD) to see if the module comes alive. Tighten (GENTLEY) any screws that you can see. If that does not work then dis-assemble the movement and reassemble to ensure good contacts at all points on the module. These are not old movements and unless battery leakage is a concern I don’t see it dying just because of a battery change (it can happen).

Yes, they can go for under 200 in a beat up plastic version. Of course you have spare parts in your module so maybe a functioning one with a bleeding display. That would go for a lot less and you can then exchange the LCD panels.

Good luck,

Geoff

P.S. don’t throw out the module, use it for spares or eBay it! I just purchased a NOS LCD panel for a spare.

ronaldheld

Wizard

Wizard

Post25 Apr 2019, 20:59

I am thinking of buying a new one, and keep the old one for spare parts. Have not checked EBay lately.

Return to Vintage DSM and LCD Watches