Replacement for Junghans Mega 1000

Discussion on MODERN LED, LCD, OLED and E-INK watches
  • Author

sbradley02

Nerd

Nerd

Replacement for Junghans Mega 1000

Post16 Feb 2019, 19:51

My beloved Junghans Mega 1000 titanium has only partly come back after its latest battery change. After two previous repairs, the last one out of warranty and very expensive, I feel it is time to retire the watch. I prefer metal bands, and there don't seem to be many options out there. The Ventura V-tec Alpha is a nice design, but in solid steel, is almost twice the weight of the Junghans (I have sent Ventura some questions just in case I decide to go there). All of analog/digital combos seems to follow the current fashion of enormous cases. are there any other watches I should be looking at?
Thanks

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Re: Replacement for Junghans Mega 1000

Post21 Feb 2019, 20:33

Stick with the original line up Venturas which are smaller by todays standard.Alpha,Delta Kappa and sigma (despite its curved larger length it is very comfy on the wrist) The Gamma is closest to the original Alpha in size from todays models.
Plus the original Sparc auto digitals.
Last edited by holly35 on 23 Mar 2019, 19:36, edited 1 time in total.

sbradley02

Nerd

Nerd

Post26 Feb 2019, 01:35

holly35 wrote:Stick with any original line up Venturas which are smaller by todays standard.Alpha,Delta Kappa and sigma (despite its curved larger length it is very comfy on the wrist) The Gamma is closest to the original Alpha in size from todays models.
Plus the original Sparc auto digitals.

I ordered a Delta, should receive it around mid-March, I will update with a photo after I receive it.

sbradley02

Nerd

Nerd

Post23 Mar 2019, 19:11

I received the Ventura Delta Thursday, and have had some time with it. First rate fit and finish, a beautiful watch. The time display is smaller than on my Junghans, so a bit harder to read in lower light (with my old eyes), but the numerals are very crisp and the backlight is better than on the Junghans. The band barely fits my 8" wrist, but it is very comfortable and the deployment clasp is super easy to use, as easy as a metal band to put on. If anyone would like a Delta (or a first generation Alpha), you can get them through Marc Lange on chrono24.com. He is an authorized dealer and a pleasure to work with. Factory stock on the older watches is extremely limited.
As an aside, after many years of wearing nothing but metal band watches, I find myself now with three leather band watches in the space of a month. I will start doing what a number of other folks do, wear different watches on different days.
Obligatory wrist photo:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post23 Mar 2019, 19:31

Superb choice,congrats on your purchase of this beautiful watch. :grin1:
Ps in natural day light the numbers are super bright.I found even in low light they can be read without the back light.

sbradley02

Nerd

Nerd

Post06 May 2019, 16:35

holly35 wrote:Superb choice,congrats on your purchase of this beautiful watch. :grin1:
Ps in natural day light the numbers are super bright.I found even in low light they can be read without the back light.

A added bonus after I have had it for awhile. This is the most accurate watch (not counting radio controlled models) I have ever owned. It is on the order of 16 seconds a year, well within COSC quartz standards.

jimster

Nerd

Nerd

Post21 May 2019, 00:13

Congratulations on a great choice. I wear mine often. :-D

sbradley02

Nerd

Nerd

Post23 Dec 2020, 20:43

During the pandemic, I decided to try out replacing my own watch batteries. I successfully brought one Seiko perpetual back to life, and one failed. For the heck of it, I decided to take a chance on the Mega 1000, as it had been sitting dead on the window sill for almost 2 years. I bought a fresh Renata battery, and installed it into the Mega. The watch came up fine, all functions work properly. So it appears that the battery the jeweler installed was faulty. Who would have figured..

Return to Modern Digitals