About Pusar P2 date II

• Author

Pulsar77

Techie

Techie

About Pusar P2 date II

Post21 Jun 2019, 16:51

Hello,

I have this nice Pulsar P2 date II, just question is it considered as P2 or P3 ?

Thank you in advence
Jean
Digital LCD & LED watches fan

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Re: About Pusar P2 date II

Post21 Jun 2019, 17:17

Determined by case style...it's a P2. Also called a P2/Date by Time Computer in their Jewelers Technical Manual. The only P3 model is the Date/Command.

Pulsar77

Techie

Techie

Post21 Jun 2019, 17:35

bruce wegmann wrote:Determined by case style...it's a P2. Also called a P2/Date by Time Computer in their Jewelers Technical Manual. The only P3 model is the Date/Command.

Ok thank Bruce for the information.
Was it sold at the same time as P3 or a little before?
I read on Old Pulsar that the P2 was introduced in spring 1973 but available in january 1974...

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post21 Jun 2019, 22:14

Somewhere in the Time Computer records are the exact dates of release of the various models...whether those records still exist is a matter of conjecture.
Best I can say is...I have a P2 with a bracelet date code of 8/72...a bit at variance with the assertion that the P2 was released "in the fall of 1972" (planet I was raised on, August is a Summer month, in North America). The inference to be drawn from the available information is that the P3 Date/Command and the Date/2 were released at essentially the same time (I bought my P3 in late March of 1974). There is some inconsistency of information...in one place it is stated that the Date/2 was introduced "in the Spring (March, April?) of 1973, but not available until January of 1974" (the ten-month delay is not explained). Elsewhere, it is stated that "both were introduced in the fall (September?) of 1973, but the Date/2 was not available until the Spring (March?) of 1974. The modules are the same in both models (that part is right, at least)". I'm not sure how something can be "introduced", but still not be "available" for months (maybe, if you substitute the word "announced" for "introduced", it makes more sense). For example, the P1 Limited Edition was certainly announced, long before it was actually available.

Pulsar77

Techie

Techie

Post22 Jun 2019, 04:58

Yes, it is clear that it looks like the Basel advertissements.
For collector is that the P2 date has the same value rating as the P2 ? (I don’t want to sell it, just because I’m hesiting to buy a P2 classic...).

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post22 Jun 2019, 05:36

No, the Date/2 typically sells for about half the price of a P2, because of the "James Bond" connection (ah, if only he'd been wearing a P1...what a combination THAT would have been! But, even movies have their budget limitations...). In minty condition, with boxes and papers, expect to spend well in excess of US$1K. The P2 has other celebrity connections, as well; Bill Bixby wore one in "The Magician", and I have seen an interview with Peter Sellers where one is prominently visible on his wrist.
The Date/2 with the unstamped case (and the Pulsar logo on the glass) is less often seen; the stamped cases predominating by about a 4-to-1 ratio. The unstamped cases were also used on the 3725 Pulse-Time (PRM) model, introduced a few years later, in mid-1977.

Pulsar77

Techie

Techie

Post22 Jun 2019, 10:54

Thank you very much Bruce for this informations. :Prost:

Return to Pulsar and Hamilton