It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:26

Netflix's Mindhunter

Talk about everything digital watch related and off - topic.
  • Author

Shiniquiet

Nerd

Nerd

Netflix's Mindhunter

Post17 Aug 2019, 13:43

Season 2 of Mindhunter just began. The time period of the series is the 70's One of the main characters is wearing a digital watch. It looks to me like it might be a Hamilton but I'm not sure. Can anybody identify the watch with some confidence?

abem

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Re: Netflix's Mindhunter

Post21 Aug 2019, 07:24

Hi.

I haven't seen the show yet but I think I know this watch. A few years back, I ran a little web site called TimeTrafficker which bought and sold 70s era watches, mostly LED, to rationalize my watch addiction. About 2 years ago, I was contacted by a propmaster who explained that they were looking for vintage watches for a soon to be in production Netflix series called Mindhunter set in the 70s. They were extremely nice and asked a few good questions. I wish I still had the email exchange so I could re-read it but I do remember the essential parts of the conversation.

So, yes, I believe the watch worn by Holt McCallany's character Bill Tench is the watch that I sold to them - a nice chunky Hamilton QED II model from around 1977.

Thanks for noticing! I'll have to watch the show now. It seems that both the props people and the casting folks did quite a nice job in making show look visually true to the subject matter that it depicts.

Cheers,

-abe.

190815-mindhunter.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Shiniquiet

Nerd

Nerd

Post21 Aug 2019, 11:13

That’s the watch I’m talking about alright and I’ve felt it was a Hamilton. However, after watching a couple of episodes the other day, there were times that the button on the right side was not located at 3 o’clock position like Hamilton’s and Pulsars but at the 1. I have one more episode left and if I’m not sure after that I’ll just have to accept there are somethings we aren’t meant to know. Anyway, thanks for you reply. It was most interesting.

richard_uk

Guru

Guru

Post27 Aug 2019, 01:22

Shiniquiet wrote:That’s the watch I’m talking about alright and I’ve felt it was a Hamilton. However, after watching a couple of episodes the other day, there were times that the button on the right side was not located at 3 o’clock position like Hamilton’s and Pulsars but at the 1. I have one more episode left and if I’m not sure after that I’ll just have to accept there are somethings we aren’t meant to know. Anyway, thanks for you reply. It was most interesting.

Not all Hamilton’s used that module, I forget the names/makes of the different modules now but Hamilton used one with the function button at 1 and recessed setting button at 3.

Return to General Discussion