New LED watches needed!

Discussion on MODERN LED, LCD, OLED and E-INK watches
  • Author

SASM

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

New LED watches needed!

Post18 Oct 2020, 13:08

After the development of my first #HGWC driver watch in 2014 I took a 6 year break to buy a house and have a child. Now it´s time for something new again and I recently started with the production of two other new LED watches: A new Synchronar Mark VI and a pseudo-analog LED like the Rolex FAN which never went in production. Both watches will have similarities with their vintage models but in the end are complete new contructions with different cases and of course quite a few new ideas.

Actually I am producing the first parts and I am working on the SASM62 module for the new FAN. That´s a new challenge as I have to use even tinier components. The smalles component which I´ve soldered so far are the transistors on the SASM54 module: Such a transistor has three pads and comes in 0201 package. This means that it is 0,6 x 0,3 mm² so you have to be very careful to not causing shorts when soldering.

The FAN module will have plenty of such components. Moreover I am planning to use vintage Monsanto MAN68 LED displays from 1978 to have a date feature. You just cannot compare these extra nice fine-line displays to the new shabby back lit "LED" displays which are on the market now. As always I try to manufacture as many parts as possible on my own machines. I am not sure when I can sell the first watches, but I am planning for Dec. 2021.

Hanno.

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Re: New LED watches needed!

Post18 Oct 2020, 15:13

Photos please .....

ronaldheld

Wizard

Wizard

Post19 Oct 2020, 12:08

That is a good suggestion.

Caruso

Wizard

Wizard

Post24 Oct 2020, 20:47

I think both these are a good idea, there is a trend for new LED watches in the market.

My synchronar hasn't worked for many years.

Is the Rolex one like this?

Check out my vintage digital channel on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/danhay1137

ronaldheld

Wizard

Wizard

Post24 Oct 2020, 21:26

ronaldheld wrote:That is a good suggestion.

That would be helpful.

SASM

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post26 Oct 2020, 16:20

Yes, the watch is a bit like the Rolex Fan but with a different case and of course another dial. I cannot (and wouldn´t) post pictures as the prototypes are not finished yet. Same for the Synchronars. Got the first test solar cells but are not satisfied yet.

Actually I am doing the layout of the "FAN"- module. Everything is so tiny and I have problems to place the circuit on a double sided board. Case diameter will be 38mm.

Caruso

Wizard

Wizard

Post11 Jan 2021, 23:11

Any news on these 2 new watches?

Planet-LED

Techie

Techie

Post26 Mar 2022, 20:49

I wonder how Hanno is coming along on these two watches?
Steve Kamerad

SASM

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post09 Oct 2022, 15:00

Here´re some updates, at least for the FAN-2 project:

I´ve ordered over 100.000 LEDs already. The sapphire glasses are here as well. My prototype is running with a constant LED display (not flashing like the original - I cannot tell you how annoying that was). I believe that the watch can run over a year with a permenently lit display. The case form is ready and has the following dimensions: 46x38x10mm (height x width x thickness)

The button construction is not ready yet. I am planning with a 18K button again. The pressing tool for the button logo is not done yet. Moreover I am not sure about the clasp so this is still something to think about.

In addition I cannot get microcontrollers to finally produce the watch at the moment. That is a problem as I cannot produce the modules in series.

Hanno.

ronaldheld

Wizard

Wizard

Post09 Oct 2022, 15:35

Good to see an update. Could you post a video of your prototype. When you have time?

Caruso

Wizard

Wizard

Post30 Oct 2022, 23:24

What does it look like?

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post22 Nov 2022, 05:48

Thank you for all your good work on creating new modules Hanno. I was a dis-believer initially, I thought the collectors would reject the new parts. That was an "ill-formed idea". :) Glad it all has worked out so nicely. And congrats on the house and the kid. I think :) *I have 4 children and have had 3 step-children.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

Planet-LED

Techie

Techie

Post27 Jan 2023, 23:56

I'm wondering how the development of both watches is coming?
Steve Kamerad

Return to Modern Digitals